Monitoring power usage

So I've purchased a Maplins power monitor plug to work out which electrical devices are costing how much. See

For those that haven't seen this before, you just plug this device into a three-pin socket and then whatever you want to test into that. It starts to count the number of kWh being used, straight away.

So I plug in a table lamp with a 60W bulb. Anyway, after 4 hrs the device has measured 0.08kWh (approximately 0.02kWh per hr). So if I'm correct in thinking, after 4 hours the table lamp has only used 80W in total - but its a 60W bulb so shouldn't it be a lot more than that - I don't geddit?

Many thanks if anyone can correct me.

Dunk

Reply to
duncan

It sounds faulty. It should have taken nearly a quarter of a kilowatt hour in that time.

If you have the patience and can switch evertying else in the house off, you can compare it to the electric meter readings..

Reply to
Palindr☻me

HI Sue, thanks for the reply. I've actually got two of these monitors (don't ask why!!) and they both come back with similar readings.

I've also temporarily got an Electrisave and that does indeed show that the light consumes approximately 60W of power. However, the electrisave doesn't count in kWh, it just does kw.

See

Didn't know if this was something to do with it?

Reply to
duncan

It could be someone is a decimal point out.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Quite amusing how the 'power save' device consumes 20Wmax itself.

Reply to
G Cadman