mixing paint

I have two half cans of paint in similar colours, one is a matt, one is a vinyl silk. Is there likely to be a problem if I mix the two together to use as a final coat on a wall? TIA

Reply to
George E Long

provided it is the same formulation it will be ok i.e.. water based.....just remember though, you wont be able to match it when you need further paint for repairs or if there isn't enough to do the lot.

Reply to
mindesign

had a go, they were both water based and almost the same in colour gave it a good mix and started one wall. For future reference I would suggest anyone doing the same test first. The paint was forming a skin as I painted and the brush dragging the skin about. I tried painting it out but it got worse, tried doing it quicker but it was impossible. Half the wall is now done with some cutting in and I'm giving up. I don't know how but somehow have to get the mess of custard off the walls and start again. lesson learned.

Reply to
George E Long

maybe if you thinned it a bit it wouldn't set so fast? seems a waste of paint not to use it now.

Reply to
Rose

hey darling - look at the new feature wall!

:)

Reply to
mindesign

it's like a plastic coating, latex type. It's covered the cracks anyway. murder to get off though..

Reply to
Barry Long

Apparently it used to be easier to mix the paint. A matt and a silk would give a mid sheen finish and decorators used to do this. Recently though many manufacturers have changed the formulas which makes it impossible to do so you have to be careful now.

Reply to
Billy Bloggs