MFI Flatpack = A Joke

I recently moved into a new house, over the last couple weeks I built up so much flat pack from various places it's untrue. Anyway, two weeks ago I ordered a 'Toronto' corner desk unit from the MFI, it was delivered today after a wait of 2 weeks.
I have never in my life attempted to build so an inferior product. It wasn't exactly cheap at 170 either. The problem is the clam screws just do not lock onto the clam legs, if you think you've got them locked, a simple wiggle of the wood will have them come lose again. It's amazingly hard to believe actually, that something go be so bad.
Anyway, after a couple hours messing around with this POS, half of the panel are no screwed because tightening the clams split the wood are the pre-drilled holes.
Also, at one point I did lose my tempter(you would have too) and smashed a couple panels. Looking back now this was probably bad idea but it was unavoidable at the time because I was so angry.
I tried calling the helpline on the instructions, no answer. I'm now going to call MFI....what exactly are my options? if I accept another desk, I will request someone else build it. The desk I got now is completely screwed, it's scrap basically. Are they going to want to check it out?
What would you do?

I would have been straight back to MFI for a refund long before I got as annoyed as you got.
Hi Mark:
Sorry I'm probabaly in no way answering your question !.
But anyway - the sh*t you buy at MFI/Homebase/Focus, etc is actuallly imported from places like Brazil & Africa etc...
It is then re-labelled by the DIY stores here & sold on at inflated prices.
How do I know ? - because I have been told this by a company that does such a thing !!!.
The best stuff to buy is probably pre-built units since at least you can view/reject them before installation!!
CG

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 15:16:28 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named Mark

Not what you want to hear, but..
I would have bought from Ikea. For all their shortcomings (huge stores, long queues, etc), the stuff they sell fits together well and is durable. I've only experience of a couple of items from MFI, which was enough to convince me, like yourself, that it is only good enough for firewood.
--
Hugo Nebula
For desks, I always go for secondhand office stuff. It's about the same price as MFI but built to last - it's so much better in every way.