MFI Flatpack = A Joke

I recently moved into a new house, over the last couple weeks I built up so much flat pack from various places it's untrue. Anyway, two weeks ago I ordered a 'Toronto' corner desk unit from the MFI, it was delivered today after a wait of 2 weeks.

I have never in my life attempted to build so an inferior product. It wasn't exactly cheap at £170 either. The problem is the clam screws just do not lock onto the clam legs, if you think you've got them locked, a simple wiggle of the wood will have them come lose again. It's amazingly hard to believe actually, that something go be so bad.

Anyway, after a couple hours messing around with this POS, half of the panel are no screwed because tightening the clams split the wood are the pre-drilled holes.

Also, at one point I did lose my tempter(you would have too) and smashed a couple panels. Looking back now this was probably bad idea but it was unavoidable at the time because I was so angry.

I tried calling the helpline on the instructions, no answer. I'm now going to call MFI....what exactly are my options? if I accept another desk, I will request someone else build it. The desk I got now is completely screwed, it's scrap basically. Are they going to want to check it out?

What would you do?

Reply to
Mark

I would have been straight back to MFI for a refund long before I got as annoyed as you got.

Reply to
Bob Watkinson

Hi Mark:

Sorry I'm probabaly in no way answering your question !.

But anyway - the sh*t you buy at MFI/Homebase/Focus, etc is actuallly imported from places like Brazil & Africa etc...

It is then re-labelled by the DIY stores here & sold on at inflated prices.

How do I know ? - because I have been told this by a company that does such a thing !!!.

The best stuff to buy is probably pre-built units since at least you can view/reject them before installation!!

CG

Reply to
Blueyonder

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 15:16:28 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named Mark randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Not what you want to hear, but..

I would have bought from Ikea. For all their shortcomings (huge stores, long queues, etc), the stuff they sell fits together well and is durable. I've only experience of a couple of items from MFI, which was enough to convince me, like yourself, that it is only good enough for firewood.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

For desks, I always go for secondhand office stuff. It's about the same price as MFI but built to last - it's so much better in every way.

Reply to
da