marker dye to catch a thief

Hi all,
I don't know if anyone will know what I mean but there used to be a substance invisible to the naked eye that you could get to coat objects so that if someone touched them it would put a dye on their hands that wouldn't wash off for a couple of days, it was used to catch thieves largely. Does anyone know what it might be called?
Thanks.
Fred wrote:

It's called Gun Residue I think...

touched, because the poor darlings are unemployed, come from a broken home etc, so they get off, while you get sued for assault, mental anguish, stress, you name it.
Not that I'm an old cynic or anything :-))
Steve