Marbling paint-effect

I have a slate fireplace (date ~1905), which was originally finished in a black marble paint effect which I would like to restore. I have looked at a few web-sites describing how to do this, but has anyone got any tips to pass on ?
Thanks for any help,
Duncan
On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 22:20:14 +0100, "Duncan"

Otherwise it is probably better to get a pro in to do it.