Mains socket under combi boiler - ok?

I'm trying to put a mains socket in a kitchen and get it as far away from the sink as possible but that will mean it has to go under the boiler. Do the regs allow a mains sockt to be installed under a combi boiler?

Reply to
clangers_snout

Yes. You are supposed to keep gas and electric services separated, but I've never seen anyone take any notice of that. I can't recall what the distance is (it's part of gas regs, not electric regs).

Obviously, if the combi leaks, it could trip the RCD and cause additional inconvenience. I wouldn't do it for that reason.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

To comply with Part P, sockets in te kitchen now need to be installed (or checked) by a qualified installer.

Reply to
charles

Yes, that's exactly what I had in mind but frankly it's a choice between being close to the sink where I can definitely see the possibility of a water dousing or under the combi where the chance of a leak is slim. If there's no regs against it I'm going to stick it under the combi.

Reply to
clangers_snout

I already had it so someone else must have asked.

As could a leak anywhere else in the house.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

There is no specific wiring regulation to prohibit it, but common sense suggests that right under a boiler is not ideal should you ever get a leak.

(note there are not hard rules about distances from a sink either - although there is a guideline of at least 300mm IIRC)

Reply to
John Rumm

How about *directly* under the connector for the washing machine? That's where there's a socket in our German house. (It's so close that you can't easily unplug the washing machine without disconnecting the filling hose first.)

I don't know if it meets local regs, but if I had owned the house when it was installed I'd certainly have said "Oy!"

Reply to
Martin Bonner

How about *directly* under the connector for the washing machine? That's where there's a socket in our German house. (It's so close that you can't easily unplug the washing machine without disconnecting the filling hose first.)

I don't know if it meets local regs, but if I had owned the house when it was installed I'd certainly have said "Oy!"

The house I am working on at the moment has a combi boiler fitted around an existing socket in the corner of the kitchen

the socket is surface on top of the old vir conduit box

the socket sits between the flow and return pipes for the C H

The boiler was fitted there by British Gas and replaced an old floor standing boiler in the fireplace in the dining room next door with the fused spur and programme being left in their previous position

Why do I try to avoid getting the professionals in?

Regards

Tony

Reply to
TMC

"checked by a qualified installer"? Surely a Part-P qualified intaller can only certify his own work. If you DIY it don't you need to get building control in to check it?

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

a qualified installer can check on others' work, but the trade bodies don't like it. (I was told this by an NICEIC contractor) Since our Building Control people don't have anyone with even a basic knowledge of electrical work, I'd rather find someone else to do the checks.

Reply to
charles

You'd probably get away with it until (a) Something went wrong, or (b) The surveyor notices it when you sell.

Reply to
John Williamson

Every part of that statement is incorrect.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

(a) if done properly then nothing will go wrong, or (b) tell them that the work was done before part P existed.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

The work could be done by someone other than the part P registered installer doing the notification, but the work must be "supervised".

Of course the level of supervision required is variable.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I personally wouldn't worry, if the combi leaks, it's likely to leak all over its own electrics anyway.

Now there I prefer at least 600mm, making it less likely that the live kettle lead ends up in the bowl.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Are there any these days that aren't 'cordless'?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's exactly my problem though. There is not enough room between sink and combi to allow even 300mm, which is why it has to go under the combi.

Reply to
clangers_snout

When I sold I honestly declared that I had done sundry unapproved alterations to the electrics and no comment was raised. If I'd been pushed I would paid for a periodic inspection report, knowing that all was OK

Reply to
Tony Bryer

I sold my house last year, which had had a kitchen refurbishment three years previously. The work wasn't certified.

The buyer's solicitor's questionnaire asked these questions:

- Has any electrical work been carried out aince 2005 Y/N

- answer: Y

- is a certificate available for this work Y/N

- answer: N

I doubt the buyers even read it.

When we bought our current house, the surveyor didn't comment on the electrics as he had no way of testing them. He had to red-flag them in his report, though, because there was no certificate available, and that's what the surveyor's trade union says they must do. The certificate turned up in the 3" bundle of papers we got from the seller's solicitor.

The whole system is basically a joke.

Reply to
Terry Fields

They're worse! Sometimes the base sticks when you pick up the kettle, then drops off a second or two later - perfectly timed to end up in the bowl!

SteveW

Steve Walker