Mains Multipoint

I am going away for a few days and wanted to know if it is ok to turn the water off in the house but leave the pilot light going in the multipoint. ( hot water only) my heating is warm air and I happily leave the pilot on for that but the water heater seems different to me. I don't want to turn the pilot off as it can be impossible to get it to light sometimes. Is it ok to have a pilot burning when there is no water going through? TIA

Reply to
Lou

Yes, that's fine. After doing that, I leave a tap open (kitchen tap) to release the pressure in the pipework. If the multipoint has a means to turn off the main burner operation, do this too (my original one did, but my current one doesn't without also turning off the pilot light).

The pilot light does consume around 250W, so if you are going away for longer, you might want to consider the cost of the wasted gas by leaving it on. If you turn the pilot light off in freezing weather, you must also drain the water out of the multipoint's heat exchanger, so it can't freeze and split it. There's usually a bleed screw on the pipework into the multipoint which you can open after switching off the water and gas, and will (possibly with a hot water tap open too) cause the water to drain out of the multipoint. Make sure you have closed this and run all the air out of the multipoint before allowing the main burner to light though.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks for answering. There is a "pilot only" on this one so I will leave it on that with the tap open as you suggest. I am only away four days but recently had plumbing done and flooded three times so I am nervous about leaving water on. I will be able to relax when away now. Thanks again.

Reply to
Lou

Interesting how people ask questions here rather than doing a search - and there is loads to find.

It comes down to about 7p/day or 50p/week. Does such a small cost warrant the effort involved in turning it off and, it has to be said, the possibility of the thermocouple failing when it is relit? The fact that it can be difficult to light suggests the thermocouple may be on its way out anyway.

Leave it on.

Reply to
Woody

Thanks. It is not about cost though didn't realise it would cost 50p which with the other warm air pilot ( which I never turn off) that is £1 a week! I could pay my usenet news subscription five times! I did search online but couldn't find anything except American stuff that would answer my question and that is why I love these Usenet groups, don't let them die. I had this silly idea that the pilot could burn out the system with no water in which I now realise is totally false as of course my warm air has no water in lol I also dug out the instructions and manual - they never helped. :-)

Reply to
Lou

WHY THE F--K would you bother turning off the water (or anything else!!) if just going a way for a few days, a few weeks then maybe but not just for a few days ya retard!

I am going away for a few days and wanted to know if it is ok to turn the water off in the house but leave the pilot light going in the multipoint. ( hot water only) my heating is warm air and I happily leave the pilot on for that but the water heater seems different to me. I don't want to turn the pilot off as it can be impossible to get it to light sometimes. Is it ok to have a pilot burning when there is no water going through? TIA

Reply to
Illuminated

That is because this group is better than Google when it come to DIY.

Reply to
ARW

Top posting corrected.

Illum> WHY THE F--K would you bother turning off the water (or anything

"WHY THE F--K" *not* bother? It's far better to turn the utilities off than to arrive home to find a flood or fire damaged property - especially at this time of the year.

But I suppose that your 'illumination' is rather too dim to see that point?

Reply to
Unbeliever

For once, I'm in agreement with you ARW (well 90% anyway :-) ).

Reply to
Unbeliever

Top posting corrected.

Illum> WHY THE F--K would you bother turning off the water (or anything

"WHY THE F--K" *not* bother? It's far better to turn the utilities off than to arrive home to find a flood or fire damaged property - especially at this time of the year.

But I suppose that your 'illumination' is rather too dim to see that point?

Unbeliever- Analyse what you have written, if you think about it properly you will see how your justification is self defeating, you thick c--t!

Reply to
Illuminated

Well at least a "c--T!" is rather useful (even a thick one) - now what about you?

Pity you're still rather dimly illuminated - particularly in the foul language department! ROTFL

Now go and try some old fashioned sex and travel.

Reply to
Unbeliever

I bet you (and Lou) are the kind of muppets that turns off all their electrical appliances at the socket before they go to bed.

But the exception of course of will be your fridge/freezer which in technical reality is the appliance most capable of causing a serious fire!

So yes unbeliever I am a lot brighter than you, believe that.

But you are such a wit, well 50% of one anyway, NFOAD

Illum> Top posting corrected.

Well at least a "c--T!" is rather useful (even a thick one) - now what about you?

Pity you're still rather dimly illuminated - particularly in the foul language department! ROTFL

Now go and try some old fashioned sex and travel.

Reply to
Illuminated

TOP POSTING CORRECTED YET AGAIN

Nope - I'm lucky enough to have the cash not to havev to worry about the power bills - and smoke, heat and CO detectors in all of my rooms warn against any fires/fumes! And as a 'belt and braces jobbie) I even have the house insured as well - just in case you know. ;-)

You know what? It's strange that in all the burnt properties that I have been contracted to repair after fire damage (over the years many BTW), not one has been caused by a fridge/freezer - - - chip pans, defective cabling (including a nail used to replace a blown fuse), children experimenting with matches, one of arson - along with a few where a lighted cigarette (and even a cigar) have been dropped in the bed/lounge furniture yes - but never the

*fridgy/freezer* thingies! [1]

Nope, you are still rather dim in my opinion!

Well at least that's 50% more of a wit than you are - and as for "NFOAD" - I'm already a 'coffin-dodger', but I'm having too much fun winding idiots like you up to die just yet! *eg*

Also, you really have shown how unintelligent and dim you really are when you have to resort to such silly acronyms and foul language just to get a simple point over.

[1] And I always made a point of reading the investigation reports compiled by the fire brigade.
Reply to
Unbeliever

That's some pilot light. I could heat the room with that.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Is it really 7p a day? That's an enormous amount for something doing nothing. I may turn mine off in the summer if that's a true figure. Why don't they make boilers with electric starters to save gas?

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Why would anyone take a topposting scared of swearwords person seriously?

And before the clowns reply, I topposted because he did, alternate top and bottom posting is even worse.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

From: "Lieutenant Scott"

Top posting corrected

Presuming that you're referring to me in your response to "illuminated"

I hate top-posting as it breaks the gist of the thread. As for being "scared of swearwords" - I'm not, but there are very few times in the printed word where they (along with the needless insults such as the one at the end of illiminated's reply to the OP) actually contribute to a serious question and certainly *NOT* in the context of the OP who obviously lacks the DiY know-how.

That simply makes that thread harder to follow - as well as making you too lazy to cut and paste the top-posting to the correct position in the thread.

As for me being a "clown", then that's your prerogative to think so if you wish, but if you think that the needless swearing and insult to the OP was necessary - then you are just as big a wally as illuminated.

There you are, we have now both put our points forward without resorting to abusive language. :-)

Reply to
Unbeliever

I was replying to Illuminated. He topposted, and he wrote "f--k".

Then don't use them at all. But putting them in and asterisking them is absurd.

It's fairly easy to follow it in reverse, but not if it darts up and down.

Why would I waste my time doing that? This is just a chat, not a work of literature.

I was replying to Illuminated, I was calling him a clown.

It's not abusive, it's language. Abusive would be throwing you on a bed and raping you, or whacking you on the head with a baseball bat. People need to get things into perspective.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

They do.

They didn't once upon a time in the distant past; I assume that's a fairly old boiler. Mines over 20 years old, and it has electric ignition.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Mine was installed pre 2000. But my neighbour just bought a new one a year ago, and it has a pilot.

Yet gas stoves have had electric ignition for decades.

I can't believe a tiny little flame uses 7p a day anyway.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott