Mains Multipoint

Page 1 of 2
I am going away for a few days and wanted to know if it is ok to turn the water off in the house but leave the pilot light going in the multipoint. ( hot water only) my heating is warm air and I happily leave the pilot on for that but the water heater seems different to me. I don't want to turn the pilot off as it can be impossible to get it to light sometimes. Is it ok to have a pilot burning when there is no water going through? TIA

Yes, that's fine. After doing that, I leave a tap open (kitchen tap) to release the pressure in the pipework. If the multipoint has a means to turn off the main burner operation, do this too (my original one did, but my current one doesn't without also turning off the pilot light).
The pilot light does consume around 250W, so if you are going away for longer, you might want to consider the cost of the wasted gas by leaving it on. If you turn the pilot light off in freezing weather, you must also drain the water out of the multipoint's heat exchanger, so it can't freeze and split it. There's usually a bleed screw on the pipework into the multipoint which you can open after switching off the water and gas, and will (possibly with a hot water tap open too) cause the water to drain out of the multipoint. Make sure you have closed this and run all the air out of the multipoint before allowing the main burner to light though.
--
Andrew Gabriel
On 11/11/2012 08:42, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

There is a "pilot only" on this one so I will leave it on that with the tap open as you suggest. I am only away four days but recently had plumbing done and flooded three times so I am nervous about leaving water on. I will be able to relax when away now. Thanks again.

That's some pilot light. I could heat the room with that.
--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Interesting how people ask questions here rather than doing a search - and there is loads to find.
It comes down to about 7p/day or 50p/week. Does such a small cost warrant the effort involved in turning it off and, it has to be said, the possibility of the thermocouple failing when it is relit? The fact that it can be difficult to light suggests the thermocouple may be on its way out anyway.
Leave it on.
--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
On 11/11/2012 10:44, Woody wrote:

Thanks. It is not about cost though didn't realise it would cost 50p which with the other warm air pilot ( which I never turn off) that is 1 a week! I could pay my usenet news subscription five times! I did search online but couldn't find anything except American stuff that would answer my question and that is why I love these Usenet groups, don't let them die. I had this silly idea that the pilot could burn out the system with no water in which I now realise is totally false as of course my warm air has no water in lol I also dug out the instructions and manual - they never helped. :-)
Woody wrote:

That is because this group is better than Google when it come to DIY.
--
Adam

ARW wrote:

For once, I'm in agreement with you ARW (well 90% anyway :-) ).

Is it really 7p a day? That's an enormous amount for something doing nothing. I may turn mine off in the summer if that's a true figure. Why don't they make boilers with electric starters to save gas?
--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com
On 12/11/2012 21:37, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

They do.
They didn't once upon a time in the distant past; I assume that's a fairly old boiler. Mines over 20 years old, and it has electric ignition.
Andy

Mine was installed pre 2000. But my neighbour just bought a new one a year ago, and it has a pilot.
Yet gas stoves have had electric ignition for decades.
I can't believe a tiny little flame uses 7p a day anyway.
--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com
On 13/11/2012 21:42, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

Thermostat calls for heat. Valves set for water and/or heating Water pump starts Boiler feels water pump pressure, starts fan. Boiler feel sair pressure, turns on pilot and spark Boiler feels hot pilot, turns on main burner.
Andy

That's a rather fancy system you have there.
Mine's more: Thermostat calls for heat. Signal from thermostat switches on valve, pump, and boiler simultaneously.
--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

OP is referring to a permanent pilot light system.
--
Andrew Gabriel
On 16/11/2012 12:00, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Yet this is the one his neighbour bought a year ago?
Andy
On 16/11/2012 12:00, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

ignition to the pilot. I have returned home and all was well except when I put the water on the boiler started a small drip but not sure where as it may be further up and running down, I had this drip once before when a tap was being mended, and it stopped after a day or so, it is about one drip per hour. Today this stopped. Not sure what it is maybe pressure release related? I had a lovely break and had no worries about returning to a flooded house. Thanks everyone retarded muppet Lou :-)
WHY THE F--K would you bother turning off the water (or anything else!!) if just going a way for a few days, a few weeks then maybe but not just for a few days ya retard!
"Lou" wrote in message
I am going away for a few days and wanted to know if it is ok to turn the water off in the house but leave the pilot light going in the multipoint. ( hot water only) my heating is warm air and I happily leave the pilot on for that but the water heater seems different to me. I don't want to turn the pilot off as it can be impossible to get it to light sometimes. Is it ok to have a pilot burning when there is no water going through? TIA
Top posting corrected.

Illuminated wrote:

"WHY THE F--K" *not* bother? It's far better to turn the utilities off than to arrive home to find a flood or fire damaged property - especially at this time of the year.
But I suppose that your 'illumination' is rather too dim to see that point?
"Unbeliever" wrote in message

Illuminated wrote:

"WHY THE F--K" *not* bother? It's far better to turn the utilities off than to arrive home to find a flood or fire damaged property - especially at this time of the year.
But I suppose that your 'illumination' is rather too dim to see that point?
Unbeliever- Analyse what you have written, if you think about it properly you will see how your justification is self defeating, you thick c--t!
Illuminated wrote:

Well at least a "c--T!" is rather useful (even a thick one) - now what about you?
Pity you're still rather dimly illuminated - particularly in the foul language department! ROTFL
Now go and try some old fashioned sex and travel.