low hot water pressure in the kitchen

just having fitted a new mixer tap in the kitchen , the hot water flow to it now is very low were as before it was ok, can anyone point me in the right direction as to why. the cold water is fine & the hot water flow in the rest of the house is fine. Just the hot takes ages to fill the bowl up, ive also fitted new shut of valves into the pipe work as to aid any further work if needed, could the taps be wrong or perhaps the valve faulty ?

many thanks.

Reply to
reg

Is it a tap that is only suitable for high pressure systems, and your hot water is gravity fed?

HTH

John

Reply to
John

many thanks for the reply John, I shall look into that.

Reply to
reg
.

I bought some taps a couple of years back which had this problem. It seems that the proliferation of bathroom shops may be partly due to the availability of foreign fittings but which are not suited to many British water systems. I complained but they wouldn't do me an exchange, pointing out the small print on the receipt and several not very prominent notices around the shop explaining about it.

Reply to
Andrew Vevers

What size are the tails? if they are less than 15mm that is your problem

Is the pipe airlocked? if there is a high spot the air will collect there & restrict the flow.

A crude but effective way of sorting this is to blast the air out with the rising main.

The simplest way to do that is to [on the assumption there is a nearby washing machine] use a washing machine hose, one end to hot washing machine valve, one end to cold washing machine valve, turn on hot washing machine valve, then slowly turn on cold washing machine valve. You should hear the air rushing up to the cylinder. after about a minute shut off both machine valves & try the hot tap, this may need to be done several times.

There is a danger that a badly plumbed cylinder will rupture under mains pressure so DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME. Unless you have an umbrella handy ;-))

Saying that it has always worked for me.

Reply to
kitchenman

you might be onto something there, by the " tails " you mean the flexi pipes that go from the taps to the supply ? if so they do seem a smaller diameter then the previous ones, you say if they are less then 15mm im assuming they are too small ? , but these are designed for the kitchen or isn't that anything to go by ? they also have a valve in them , would this restrict the flow ?

Reply to
reg

Presumably the valves are turned on, i.e. with the screwdriver slot going along the pipe not across it! Sorry to ask but I have used lots of these flexis with no problem whatsoever with restricting flow noticeably.

HTH

John

Reply to
John

aye the valves are turned on, they've actually got knobs to turn on rather then a slotted screw & they seem to be turned on far enough.

Reply to
reg

could be airlocked!

Reply to