loft installation

Hi my loft is insulated with what appears to be shredded glass fibre which seems to have shrunk over the 14 years it has been there. It was a new built house in Dec 1991. It has also been floored with tongue and groove chipboard i.e the same stuff the floors are made of. Would there be any point in lifting up the loft flooring and putting a layer of 60mm (or more or less) glass fibre insulation on top of it? The joists are about 84mm deep. And if so where is the cheapest place to buy that stuff?
I don't know if it is because me and my wife are getting older but we seem to need the thermostat set slightly higher than when we first moved into the house, that is why I was looking at the loft .
Thanks Ron.
said:

You probably had the same chap that did mine. He used a gun to blast it into the roof. From the pattern he just stood on top of a ladder through the hatch and waved it around, never bothered to enter the roof.

If you've ever worked with this stuff, you'd search for any viable alternative. Glass fibre insulation is absolutely evil... this cursed invention releases millions of almost-microscopic glass NEEDLES which penetrate any skin which comes into contact with it. You may get a nasty rash, or worse. It itches for days... and think about it: GLASS in your skin.. it's not as if your bodies immune system can just deal with this stuff like bacteria. Glass doesn't exactly disolve away ... I think glass fibre is going to turn out being a modern asbestos - when scientist get round to analysing the "side effects" of the stuff on people who came into contact with it.