Loft conversion

This is probably beyond my diy abilities, but how do loft conversion companies strengthen up the loft space when they remove the bracing struts from prefabricated roof joists - those zig zag lengths of wood which get in the way of turning it into a room. Can it be done without taking the tiles off?

Reply to
Andrew Vevers

I would think it unlikely that a reputable loft company would hack about a trussed rafter roof (a cowboy would, and do!). Trussed rafters, as I'm sure you have worked out, are generally made of small section timber and rely for their strength on load sharing between the various members. Take the internal bracing away, they would flop about and the roof collapse. On top of that the ceiling ties would be of indequate section to become floor joists. If you want to do a loft conversion, then the only way would be replace the roof either with new room-in-roof trusses or a built on site cut rafter roof and new floor joists. If you are considering this, I would strongly advise obtaining professional architectural and engineering advice (not from a loft company).

Bob H

Reply to
Bob Hill

Many thanks Bob. As suspected, but it would be nice to create a bit of storage space up there. Thanks also for data on water tanks.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Vevers

Incidentally, I'm told by a builder that for only £2000 extra cost when being originally built, you can have a proper open-spaced loft which can be converted later at much cheaper cost.

Reply to
Andrew Vevers