Loadbearing of plasterboard

Page 2 of 2

John wrote:

The PB will take it IF you spread the load enough 61/2kg is not a huge load.
The problem with plasterboard is that the localised strength is not good enough for rawlplug/butterfly or any other sort of attachment.
You need to remove the section of plasterboard and put e.g. a sheet of MDF behind it and put it back, and either attach the MDF to the studs or glue it to the back of the board. Or in fact you can use a thin sheet of MDF to replace the board itself, and skim over it.
Hi John Certainly sounds like you have 'Strawboard' from the posts I see you mentioned the builders they are the same group that built the houses we worked on in the NW. The board as i wrote earlier is aprox 2 1/2 " thick and came in 6x3 6x2 and 8x3 sheets if I recall. It was fixed with 2x2 wooden battons nailed into the roof & floor with uprights slotted into the board edges. All the people we kept in touch with have ripped it out and restudded due to its lack of fixing strength and as you say expanding when wet. Might I sujest you consider hanging your tv from wire fixed to the roof joists or as has been already said screw straight through into the stair riser. If you batton the rear you may find (as a customer did when fixing a shelf this way) that over a period the whole thing slips down the wall leaving a slot behind.
In truth strawboard was and still is a very bad building medium and was only used because it was cheep.
Regards
CJ

Thanks for the input. I have decided to drill straight through and stick (No Nails type stuff) a lump of 4" x 2" timber on the other side and use 4" No. 12 screws so I get a good 1 1/4" into the timber. It is inside an airing cupboard and mostly hidden by the copper tank and hopefully the No Nails approach will stop it 'sliding' down the wall Although at 6.5Kg I don't think it will.
Cheers
John .
Hi John sounds like a plan m8 good luck
cj