lighting - dimmer switches

Pretty much all the lighting in my home is based on dimmer switches - eg lounge has 2x60W wall lights on a dimmer switch, that balace with a 100W central bulb on a dimmer switch
Should I be stocking up on old fashioned tungsten bulbs?

I have recently seen CFL bulbs advertised that work with dimmers but they are pricey (around 18 a time). Hopefully the price will come down as these things have a habit of doing.
--
Tinkerer

replaced the wall lights with lower wattage bulbs and put stronger ones in the main light fitting. That way I can adjust the lighting by using a combination of lights/ You can get dimmable fluorescent lights, but they are rubbish.

Not necessary. One of the many options is a standard GLS envelope with halogen capsule inside - made by Philips and GE - and widely available from the DIY sheds. They are just a little more expensive than conventional bulbs used to be - not the silly sell-off prices around at the moment. If you look around you will also probably still find the Philips Halogena range which, although physically bigger, are also available in pearl rather than the clear of the others.
The halogen fittings are usually advertised as saving 20% power for the same light levels - and the light is WHITE not the horrible milky white of PLCs.
--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Thanks for those suggestions - sounds excellent.
All I've got to do is find some of these bulbs - had a good look around B&Q and their website but haven't found anything in a bayonet format I recognize yet. http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?isSearch=true&fh_search=halogena
Still, now I know what I'm looking for - many thanks, -- Lol

--
Please visit our appeal at
http://www.donatetobreastcancer.org/nakedbikeride

You won't NEED dimmer swithches with the new so-called lamps.
--
Please visit our appeal at
http://www.donatetobreastcancer.org/nakedbikeride

The one thing most people overlook is that if you use a dimmer you are unlikely ever to have to change a bulb - I have some bulbs that are original from when we moved in - in 1990!!