lighting - dimmer switches

Pretty much all the lighting in my home is based on dimmer switches - eg lounge has 2x60W wall lights on a dimmer switch, that balace with a 100W central bulb on a dimmer switch

Should I be stocking up on old fashioned tungsten bulbs?

Reply to
Lol

I have recently seen CFL bulbs advertised that work with dimmers but they are pricey (around £18 a time). Hopefully the price will come down as these things have a habit of doing.

Reply to
Tinkerer

No. I had dimmer switches and never used them much. Now I have replaced the wall lights with lower wattage bulbs and put stronger ones in the main light fitting. That way I can adjust the lighting by using a combination of lights/ You can get dimmable fluorescent lights, but they are rubbish.

Reply to
IanT

Not necessary. One of the many options is a standard GLS envelope with halogen capsule inside - made by Philips and GE - and widely available from the DIY sheds. They are just a little more expensive than conventional bulbs used to be - not the silly sell-off prices around at the moment. If you look around you will also probably still find the Philips Halogena range which, although physically bigger, are also available in pearl rather than the clear of the others.

The halogen fittings are usually advertised as saving 20% power for the same light levels - and the light is WHITE not the horrible milky white of PLCs.

Reply to
Woody

Thanks for those suggestions - sounds excellent.

All I've got to do is find some of these bulbs - had a good look around B&Q and their website but haven't found anything in a bayonet format I recognize yet.

Still, now I know what I'm looking for - many thanks,

-- Lol

Reply to
Lol

Reply to
Ian

You won't NEED dimmer swithches with the new so-called lamps.

Reply to
Ian

The one thing most people overlook is that if you use a dimmer you are unlikely ever to have to change a bulb - I have some bulbs that are original from when we moved in - in 1990!!

Reply to
Woody