lighting circuit / question

Few questions

1) Can any one point me to any relevant regulations etc that state how often a house should be "technically" or "legally" rewired ? Cant seem to find a answer to this one it seems a bit hit and miss. Looked in part p etc but cant see.

2) If we was about to replace a lighting circuit, (starting in the loft as thats easy to access) it is currently pre 1970's (not sure when) its currently done by junction box's rarther than loop. I assume its still ok to do it the junction box way ? does it make any difference ? does anyone still do it tyhis way ?

Thanks

Reply to
systemtek

I don't think there are any regulations that specify when a house needs rewiring. If it's wired with PVC sheathed T&E then assuming it hasn't been hacked about too much even the oldest T&E should still be in reasonable condition. There's no regulations requirement to bring old installations up to latest standards. There are still no legal requirements, none of the regulations are law.

No problem using junction boxes, it could still be looped in of course but use the junction boxes instead of the ceiling roses. The two normal ways of doing it are:-

Looped in - T&E live and neutral feed to all ceiling fitments and pair from there (live and switched live) to the switch. Should strictly be a twin brown pair but most people use brown/blue and mark the blue with brown at the ends.

Feed to switches - T&E live and neutral feed to all switches and a pair to the light from the switch.

Looped in is much more common of course but the other is perfectly acceptable if it's easier or better for some reason.

(Note: replace Brown/Blue with Red/Black if you still think in the old wiring colours)

Reply to
tinnews

It may be worth noting also that under Part P, you are not allowed to mess with the wiring in the bathroom, but if the wire from the light is a single T & E cable which goes to a junction box in the loft as mine is, then you could use that wire in your new circuit providing it is in good order thereby technically not breeching the Part P regs.

My kitchen lights are also wired the same way and my switches are in the hall, not the kitchen.

Part P does not seem to be improving the quality of installations carried out by supposed Competant Tradesmen, infact alot of tadespeople are not issuing certificates when work has been carried out

Reply to
the_constructor

Thanks all, it been a loft im starting in that makes it easy to access the cables. Its just T&E to the roses and back to the junction box's and via 2 light switches in the bedrooms (the normal switch 2 pole) and pull cord above the beds. Im not planning to do the bathroom just yet (just bedrooms first) but as you say it is just T&E to the rose so cant see it been a problem. The cables are looking worse for wear in the loft so id like to replace what i can.

Thanks

Reply to
systemtek

Good look, we're here if you need us !