Lighting

In my kitchen I have two rails each has four 40 watt halogen lamps in....I wish to replace these fittings with Fluorescent tubes........What size tubes will I need to get the same light output and will they be cheaper to run ??

Reply to
Ted

They'll be a *whole lot* cheaper to run for two reasons:-

They use less power to get the same amount of light.

The light is more useful so you need less of it (they are not so directional, don't cast shadows, etc.)

I'd go for two 4ft tubes or two 5ft tubes, whichever looks more sensible. They'll take about a quarter as much electricity.

Reply to
usenet

40 watts is an odd size for a halogen lamp. Usually they are 20, 35 or 50W. I would expect one 5ft tube to make a kitchen brighter overall that any combination of 8 of the above.

Do as Chris suggested and fit a couple of 4 or 5 foot tubes depending upon what looks best (maybe even one 6ft tube).

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Thanks for the replies....Taken advice and just bought 2 4ft tubes Hopefully fit them this weekend...

Reply to
Ted