Light time controller

In my flat there are two time controllers, one for allowing a specified time the front passage door is open to allow postman to deliver post This is a normal controller with a 24hour clock and is easy to set up. The second controller has a face which has 12 sectors of 2 hours each and I have no idea how to set this up. This controller operates the common stair lighting and should operate in times of darkness. There is also a switch on the face with 3 positions. Up for on all the time, down for operating according to the time settings and in the middle for what purpose? I did notice that when in the middle position all the lights were on apart from two and when the switch was operated in the up position two additional lights came on. Can anyone sort out this mystery Blair

Reply to
bm

Can you take a picture and put it up on a website somewhere? That might help.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yes I can do will post it ASAP Blair

Reply to
bm

Hi Seems like the Smiths rotary timer or a Japanese alternative. The 3 position switch switch is normally UP on constant. Middle OFF DOWN on timed. to set the timer look for little sections around the edges of the face,these push in (or pull out) to set the on time. Another type uses little steel pins that push into holes around the face.

You say that in the mid position all but 2 lights are lit ,this may be that the lit lights are actually not controlled by the timer but operate from a switch (2way or 2 way and intermediates) allowing tennants to turn the lights on at night ,these sometimes have delay switches to turn off the lights after a few minutes. This would then leave the property in total darkness hence the 2 lights controlled by the timeswitch.

IME this is common in apartment blocks flats etc to save money on undue lighting and whilst some on group may argue that energy saving lamps can save as much or starting flouresent lamps costs more than running for numerous hours it comes down to the old adage "thats the way its always been done"

HTH

And all the best to all on group for a Happy & Prosperouse New Year.

CJ

Reply to
cj

Thanks I think you have solved the problem with your clear explanation. There are little sections round the edges which can be pushed up to set the time. The problem is instead of a 24 hour straight clock this has 12 segments each showing two hours so if I wanted it to operate at 7am where is 7am on this clock? I intend to take a photo of this and let you see. Blair

Reply to
bm

I have attached photos of the clock- Not very good I'm afraid but it does show each segment divided into 6,12 and 18 with different symbols. The clearest one is Me, We, Mi I did a check and the switch on the timer does control only the two lights. The remaining lights are either on or off ,operated by using the RCD switch in the fuse box which appears rather strange.I would have expected a normal switch to do this. There is a switch below the timer which appears to do nothing. Can you explain this odd marking and how I use it? Blair

Reply to
bm

You cannot attactch pictures to this newsgroup, they will not arrive. Try

and give us a link to what you upload.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

Thanks. I did realise that photos cannot be sent after my first attempt I hope I got this right The image is

Blair

Reply to
bm

An additional image

Can you get this image OK? Blair

Reply to
bm

Hi Blair From your picture looks like a 7day timer not a daily 24hr timer . This furthers the reason of only 2 lights probably to act a deterrent rather than illumination. It seems the rest of the lights may be controlled elsewhere. Try looking outside for a photocell. These vary but common ones are dome shaped and can be wall mounted or on a swan-neck bracket. This would facilitate dusk to dawn lighting and if faulty could account for the lights being lit all the time. Rewiring is an option but further investigation may prove this is not needed,it goes without saying electricity is dangerous so please turn off the breaker before trying to trace wiring and make sure the lights ARE off.

As a last option find the feed from the mains consumer unit and fit a 24hr time switch close to the mains in the feed to the lights.

HTH CJ

Reply to
cj

This switch is for on, timed or off

I would not expect the controller to control all 4 lights then. I just controls the two that you managed to switch.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

I can't understand the reason for controlling two lights presumably to come on in hours of darkness and leave the others on all the time It would make more sense to control the other lights and only leave the two lights on all the time as a minimum of light. Blair

Reply to
bm