light switch always on

I tried to replace a crappy old ceiling light fitting with a new unit. I wired it up , flicked on the electric and it came on , so I thought it was ok. Then I replaced the light switch with a clean new one. When I turned on the power again the light was on and it stays on regardless of what position the switch is at. I tested the switch on another circuit & it is ok. I know little about electrics. All I ever attempt to do is swap like for like where there is not much chance to make a decision & screw things up ! How can the light be on permanantly even though it is connected to a working switch?

You have probably incorrectly wired the ceiling rose - Wickes have a good leaflet on wiring but there doesn't appear to be an online version at the moment. I have a 'soft' copy but your email address doesn't appear to be real, so I haven't attempted to send you a copy.
Peter

http://www.userview.co.uk/loop1.html
HTH
Aam

Depends on how you've connected the wires. If there are only two wires and you connect one to each terminal of the switch, then it must work. So maybe you have more than 2 wires?
Rob Graham