Light Headed

We moved to a bungallow some months ago, it's not new, some 40years old. Problem is that we are having to renew light bulbs on a regular basis. Bulbs in standard lamps, wall lights and porch lights, dont seem to last much more than 3 weeks. I have used an earth tester on all wall sockets and test proved OK. The lights do dim on occaisions, but it's not a regular thing. The bulbs we use are not the cheap variety. Can anyone shed any light on this problem.

Cheers

Reply to
michael redgrift

Your supply voltage may be high if you live near a substaion.

Reply to
Fray Bentos

Just bought a circa 1960 bungalow and it needed a complete rewire, but at least we've now got all the power and lighting points we need and, where we want them.

Sounds like you have the same problem and if so it may be best to get it over and done with now before you decorate etc. Cost me over £2000 but got loads of power points - all doubles, TV aerial points in all rooms, burglar alarm and external security lighting as part of the deal.

Maybe not what you wanted to hear but hope it helps

Good luck

Alan

Reply to
ALAN

What do you mean by bulbs "are NOT the cheap variety"? Are you using energy-saving low wattage lamps? Have you measured voltage of AC mains ccts (power &/or lighting) in Volts rms? Must be too high most of the time when compared to the consumer datum of 230V in UK. An Earth tester is not pertinent here as the mains voltage is fed across (between) L and N. Jim

Reply to
Jim Gregory

On wiring that is over 40 years old then a rewire is probably due. There is unlikly to be an earth wire in the lighting and very few sockets.

One suggestion to the blowing bulbs is loose connections on the terminals in the CU and on the supply meter that connect the tails.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth