Leaking extractor fan in bathroom - help!

Hi
My first time posting so apologies if I get anything wrong.
I live in a rented 3rd floor flat and the small bathroom (with window, usually open) has a ceiling mounted extractor fan that is triggered by the light switch, from what I can tell it vents it up, along the ceiling and out the side wall.
Today it's started dripping water. Obviously rather disconcerting but has anyone experienced this before? Given it seems to be running on the lighting ring and the electrics were millimetres away from the water, I'd like to get it sorted - but if it's something obvious I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts about the cause before I go pulling it out of the ceiling/calling the landlord (takes time).
Many thanks in advance.
Ross
    ross.fleming snipped-for-privacy@btopenworld.com writes:

It's probably just condensation running back in. This may have only just shown up due to cold temperatures outdoors.
--
Andrew Gabriel

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Thanks for the quick response - really appreciate it. My first thought was that it might be condensation. Is it something you've experienced? My other potential option was a leak from upstairs but didn't know if it was likely to get into that system - is it normally hermetically sealed? One thing I should mention is that it only leaks while it's actually running which I thought was odd...
I'll probably pull it down tomorrow and hope that condensation is the case. Any suggestions as to how to avoid it going forward though?
Many thanks