Leaking Bathroom

I hope someone can give me some help or advice as to this problem.

Our bathroom sits above our kitchen, and the bath has an electric shower in it, with a fold up shower screen. The flooring is wooden floor boards with lino on top. The seal around the bath near the taps, (below the shower unit) had become a bit black, and the little rubber seals between the screen and the bath have become worn. Last Friday morning, we both had showers and there was a pool of water in the kitchen. I took the side of the bath off and found the floor to be quite damp. Later that day, I filled the bath with cold water and re-sealed the bath paying extra attention the the bits below the shower unit and the bath taps.

36 hours later I ran the ahower again, and discovered more water in the kitchen, but considerable amounts less. I now think its coming through the seal in the shower screen, as the lino and floor just on the side of it are wet.

1st question - I am bit worried that my bathroom is going to end up in the kitchen, is this likely?

2nd question - How can I prevent this and any more leaks?

3rd - How can replace the seals on the shower screen in a cost effective manner?

Any help will be appreciated?

Thanks

Reply to
David

Not in the near future. Assuming that the joists are 4 x 2 then they will take years to rot away. Your kitchen ceiling, assuming it is plasterboard, will disintegrate and may fall down soon.

You suspect the shower screen seal is leaking. Stop showering, bath instead, or fix a shower screen up until you can sort out the leak on the screen seal.

Unless you know the make and model, and the manufacturer is able to supply replacement seals, you will probably have to replace the screen with another screen or a shower curtain.

Reply to
DIY