lead gas pipe

Hi
during our bathroom conversion we came across what could be a problem. the gas pipe to the kitchen runs under the bathroom floor and thru the wall then across the ceiling of the kitchen which is all covered up with plasterboard. and finally feeds the cooker.
do we have to replace lead with copper to keep within specs?
last thing i want is to rip out kitchen units to gain access so i can get a copper pipe thru.
Mark

In my honest opinion I would get the pipe replaced as soon as possible. I will no doubt get shot down in flames now, but my understanding, from a friend whom was once a chemist for BG, Natural Gas dries out the lead pipe and they had to put additives into the pipe lines. Now of course they are replacing all the lead pipes in the streets as a matter of upgrading the national gas network.
--
the_constructor

the_constructor wrote:

Lead pipes in the street??
The ones in mine (laid approx 1935) were cast iron, I would have thought lead pie was too soft.
Mike

In some areas, lead pipes were used in the streets, but as you say, they did use Cast Iron as well, but lead pipes into the houses. A few years ago when I lived in Sheffield, BG or their contractors came round and renewed the Gas mains, some of which were Cast others lead but certainly lead into the houses
--
the_constructor

Corgi registered guy who works for the bathroom company tested it for leaks and said no need to replace as it has no problems.
Mark

So why worry? - in a couple of years there will be no gas to put through it anyway.
message

That's just a myth put out by the energy companies to get you to dig deep into your pockets.
--
the_constructor