Laying new floorboards

Hiya,

When laying Tongue and Groove floorboards, how do you fix the last piece together against the wall? I'm guessing that you cut the Tongue off the last piece, am I correct in saying this or is there another way that is so simple I'm missing it.

Thanks.

Reply to
Fred

============================ There's no guarantee that you'll end with a full width with only the tongue to cut off. When you get to the last piece measure the width of the gap at several places and then scribe and cut the piece to size.

One method of inserting this last piece after cutting to size is to cut off the bottom portion of the grooved side so that you can slide the leading edge under the skirting and the top part of the grooved side will drop on to the tongue of the previous piece. A bit complicated to describe but quite easy to do and no gaps left anywhere.

Cic.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 357 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Cicero

When you get to the wall end you'll either be faced with a full wide piece or you'll have to cut its full lenght to about 3mm smaller.then place the FB in an angle,let it drop then pull it into place with an L shaped bar or use a spade chisle and a piece of wood to prise it into the groove. Put the wood against the wall and wedge the chisel between gap and wood and lever or hammer the chisel till it slots firmly into groove. The same process happens when laying laminate flooring.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

It would be a miracle if the 4 corners were all 90 degrees. The following web page explains how to cope with non-square rooms, and how to lay the last

2 or 3 boards together in one go.

Phil Anthropist

Reply to
Fred