Lathe parts

My son is looking for chuck for his lathe (or an adapter). It has a 2.5 millimetre pitch and the bolt which the chuck would fit onto is 18 millimetres ................. any ideas ? Sorry if this makes little sense but I have no knowledge of this and have not seen the item as my lad lives in the States. The brand is Cummins which is just a label so no spares back-up. It is a budget item so when it goes wrong you buy a new one but a chuck would be very useful. I though that as it is metric, there might be something available over here.
TIA Phian
Phian wrote:

Are you sure of the dimensions? It wouldn't take a Sherline chuck, by any chance:
http://www.sherline.com/images/3jawplan.gif
However:
For small lathes, what is typically done is to use a chuck adapter plate, such as these:
http://www.chesteruk.net/store/chuck_adapter_plates.htm
Together with a chuck, such as these:
http://www.chesteruk.net/store/3-jaw_chucks.htm
If he has access to another lathe, or someone who does, he could make up a backing plate to fit his spindle and use it in association with a standard chuck. A local metalworking shop may make one for not a lot - it is a pretty straighforward and quick job for anyone with the right equipment.
--
Sue

Thanks, I will pass this information to my son.
Phian
Phian wrote:

2.5 millimetres is 0.1 inches, and 18mm is 0.7 inches. (at least, near enough so I couldn't measure the difference) Are you certain it's metric?
Andy

My son thinks it is metric but I will ask him to check again.
Phian