Large pane Double glazing, is there a certain size upon which toughen glass must be used????

Hi , can anyone answer me a question , i remember when i had my double glazing fitted some years ago, which is still fantastic , but i remember the guy from the double glazing firm said that if a window size is over a certain size , then the cost can go up quite a bit because you have to use toughened glass , thankfully i did not need any on that house , but we've been looking at another house just today and some of the windows look tall about 2.5 meters high by about 1.3 meters , does anyone know the regulations for toughened glass used for double glazing over a certain size? is it based on its overall meter squared or based on its heights or width only ???
if toughen glass is needed to be used , how much would the cost go up by based on standard commonly used glass for double glassed units?
"Just Wondering" wrote:

As far as I know toughened glass is only required by law in any part of a window that is less than 800mm high off the floor. If required, toughened glass adds about a third to the price of a double glazed window. I have noticed that some large double glazed windows suffer from a 'bowing' effect when looked at from the outside at an angle. With large single glazed windows glaziers often recommend using 4mm instead of the 3mm standard thickness glass but that isn't possible with DG sealed units as the sealed unit would be too thick to fit in the frame. You can get quotes for standard (clear) and toughened glass at http://www.u-fit.co.uk/windows/default.asp

As well as in any door and any side window adjacent to a door
using 4mm

Wrong! most standard d/g is now 4mm. The older type of unit at 24mm thick was 4mm glass, 16mm spacer and 4mm glass whilst the modern norm is 4-20-4 making a 28mm thick unit.
HTH
Best Regards, Bill Frost. Liverpool. UK OUTGOING MAIL CHECKED BY Grisoft AVG Free.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 18113 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!