Laminate/Real Wood Flooring Over Quarry Tiles?

Hi

I'd be grateful for any thoughts about this one:

We're thinking of laying a laminate or preferably, a thinnish (8mm or so) solid wood floor in our hall (which has floorboards and leading into a quarry tiled area.

Is it OK to lay wood over quarry tiles and if so, what type of underlay is best?

Is it best to use a door bar to divide the two areas or is it OK to run the flooring through?

Any recommendations on which type of floor is up to the hard wear of being in a hall?

TIA

Steve

Reply to
newsonline

We used laminate and it's moved and buckled a bit. Next time I'll use proper wood. TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

I used 15mm solid oak (composite block) of a glued laminate type. Despite sitting around for 2 months to aclimatise it has shrunk steadily since the day it was installed. Thats nearly 2 years now and I am faced with some serious surgery to fill up the ends. Admittedly it is a long room (7m+) but it was still within the manufacturers recommended limits.

I am beginning to suspect that a good quality heavy duty laminate might be better than just wood - laminate layers will have cross graining and whilst on cheap stuff that might cause a buckle, in good quality stuff it should reduce shrinkage and stay stable.

I guess.

Gil

Reply to
Gil

Thanks for the replies. If you15mm has shrunk Gil, then 8mm is likely to be even worse - especially as you let it get acclimatised for so long. Tony's laminate buckled - now I'm completely foxed ! Great getting first hand experiences though - I can see this is going to need a lot more investigation.

Thanks again

Steve

Reply to
newsonline