Knocking down walls

I have a 4 bedroom semi with a downstairs bathroom and would like to knock down a wall upstiars between 2 bedrooms and put a bathroom there. There's enough room but because the wall is on top of the supporting wall downstairs I'm not sure if I can knock it down without some more support to the roof. Are the supporting walls only supporting downstiars or do they also support the roof ? Cheers

Reply to
Billy Bloggs

Go into the loft? and take a look whether its supporting anything and if not then you're fine,but the BCO need to be contacted before demolishing it.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The 3rd Earl is right. Whenever you mess about with knocking out walls/chimneies etc. The building control has to be involved (costs you money) but not too bad.

ken

Reply to
Ken

If the roof joists are at a right angle to the wall it is likely that the wall is load bearing, but if they are parallel to the wall it is unlikely. If the wall is load bearing would an arch be any good? You could ask a builder or two round to give you an estimate; they will advise you on whether the wall is load bearing or not.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

Reply to
Billy Bloggs

A couple of pics would be nice to envisage the way its done?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby