Knocking down walls

I have a 4 bedroom semi with a downstairs bathroom and would like to knock down a wall upstiars between 2 bedrooms and put a bathroom there. There's enough room but because the wall is on top of the supporting wall downstairs I'm not sure if I can knock it down without some more support to the roof. Are the supporting walls only supporting downstiars or do they also support the roof ? Cheers
Billy Bloggs wrote:

Go into the loft? and take a look whether its supporting anything and if not then you're fine,but the BCO need to be contacted before demolishing it.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

The 3rd Earl is right. Whenever you mess about with knocking out walls/chimneies etc. The building control has to be involved (costs you money) but not too bad.
ken
"Billy Bloggs" wrote:

If the roof joists are at a right angle to the wall it is likely that the wall is load bearing, but if they are parallel to the wall it is unlikely. If the wall is load bearing would an arch be any good? You could ask a builder or two round to give you an estimate; they will advise you on whether the wall is load bearing or not.
Ye cheers guys, I checked the loft and there is a mini wall directly on top of the wall going up to a roof joist which is at a right angle to the wall so it looks like its there to support the roof in some way. I got a building regs form and am about to send it off. I will have to get someone who knows what they're doing to plan it and help me to start. Any ideas on how that joist can be supported ? I thought an RSJ section right accross the top to the other wall accross the landing but it would look fuuny going accross there. Or maybe the two new bathroom walls would be made stronger to support a structure going to the roof. It's out of my depth of knowledge in any case. Cheers

Billy Bloggs wrote:

A couple of pics would be nice to envisage the way its done?
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite