Kitchen worktop joint

I've finally decided to risk the wrath of the Mrs and try to do this myself. Any tips on the jig? The only problem I can see is that I have to join the end of a 600mm top to the side of a 670mm breakfast bar. None of the jigs I've seen mention 670mm. Does that matter if it's going on the side? Thanks Dave
David Carter wrote:

No it doesn't make a difference. You set the jig to the width of the worktop you are using i.e. the 600 and then this allows you to make a 600mm female cut in the side of the breakfast bar. If you have a Trend jig there's a manual that has it all in easy steps.
Thanks for that. Another question which I should have asked on the first post:
Are the MDF jigs ok for a one off use? Thanks

Yes - my Silverline (about 40) has done at least 8 joints and apart from damage I inflicted when not concentrating (not sensible when using a router!!) is not showing signs of wear.
Peter
David Carter wrote:

Never used one but can't see why not as long as you take care not to damage it. Do you have a 1/2" router then or do you intend to hire one? Might be best hiring the pack from HSS - includes router, Trend jig, instructions and video (dunno if it includes clamps) - you just need the cutter, some worktop bolts, glue and jointing compund then.
Ever thought of paying a professional?
Doing mitre joints is a bit like riding a bike, most people can do it but it takes a while to stop falling off!
--
regards
dave batter

Good advice
Don't cut all the way through the top with the router, just score the surface about 2mm deep then cut down the centre with a jig saw, this saves wear & tear on the cutter, I get at least 3 joints to a cutter before I get it sharpened.
Cut a max depth of 10mm to reduce the load on the motor of the router
Have a look at my site to see how it should look after it is finished
--
regards
dave batter