kitchen wall cabinets

Anynody have any ideas to hang kitchen wall cabinets on a stud wall when the studs are no where near the hanging bracket positions? I really don't fancy using plasterboard fixings - the cabinets are heavy enough before the domestic authorities start filling them up. Andy Parker, Agate House Lapidary Ulverston, Cumbria, England snipped-for-privacy@agatehouse.co.uk

Tel: 01229 584023

Reply to
Andy Parker

Taking into account plasterboard is practically a free resource, I would remove it from the wall, add studs as necessary and then recover with plasterboard.

It may be the quickest and cheapest option.

My 2p

Reply to
EricP

i use a 4inch hole saw for doing this

mark out where you want the fixings and cut a hole nearby hold a decent sized piece of scrap plyor mdf behind your mark and fix with a couple of plasterboard screws now patch the hole(s) you cut ,fill and decorate if youre that bothered behind cabinets

breeze

Reply to
im

Not quite sure I understood this solution.

ken

Reply to
Ken

============= The suggestion (I think) is to cut access holes.

Using these access holes packing pieces are slipped into place behind the plasterboard to give support for the cabinet fixings. The packings are then held in place by screws through the plasterboard. The access holes are then filled - if necessary. Quite an ingenious method. Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

The main problem I see with this is that the weight is still to be carried by the plasterboard albeit with the load spread. Another way would be to fit battens to the studs and hang the cabinets off said battens. This will only work if the battens themselves are not in the way of anything else and it will mean the cabinets will be prouder of the walls.

Norm

Reply to
Norman

I recently had to do this and I cut a Channel out of the Plaster board about 4 inches high, right across the length of the area I required to hang the Cabinets. I then screwed a 4 inch by 12.5cm (The Thickness of Plasterboard) length of Hardwood to the Studs that were at 600mm gaps. This left a flush finish to the wall, and then screwed the cabinets to this.

Reply to
®ÖÐ

Can you not screw a battern across the studs and sit the cabinet on it to take the weight with a small bracket at the top of the cabinet to stop it falling forward?

cojack

Reply to
Colin Jackson

Get a hanger rail, someone sent the Screwfix link recently

Reply to
kitchenman

Woodfit not screwfix

Reply to
kitchenman

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, that rail from woodfit is exactly the sort of solution I was hoping for - neat. Unfortunately I had already gone with the smash out the plasterboard, nail in some new studs and re-board method which is messy (very if you cut out the old boards with an angle grinder!!). It's good in here innit? Cheers Andy Parker, Agate House Lapidary Ulverston, Cumbria, England snipped-for-privacy@agatehouse.co.uk

Tel: 01229 584023

Reply to
Andy Parker