Kitchen lighting

Is there a way of working out the number and wattage of ceiling lights in a kitchen ? Once they are in, I will be stuck with them so want to get it right. I will be fitting lamps under the wall units so the worktops will be lit but want to make sure that whole of the room is adequately illuminated. I am trying to avoid fluorescent strips but not sure about sensible alternatives other than halogen. Advice would be appreciated.

Phian

Reply to
Phian

I would recommend flourecent strips under the wall units. You will not see them. This is your work surface and should be well lit.

If the work surfaces are well lit you can then fit whatever lights you want to light the walk area.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

A nice effect can be gained by putting fluorescent lights on top of wall units, fitted close to the wall they are not too visible & the lighting effect is more natural, & cheap

kitchenman

Reply to
kitchenman

Hi,

Thought i'd point you to a webpage of a company that have just redone my kitchen. Look for the 'How Much Light?' bit of this page - it lists a formula you can use to roughly calculate the amoutn of light needed. As with anything, if you want a dead-on answer, probably best to email them and ask. They were really friendly and helpful with me.

Here's the page :-

and their kitchen range.

Hope this helped!

Adam

Reply to
adam

Thanks, much appreciated, just the sort of thing i was looking for.

Phian

Reply to
Phian

no problem!