Kitchen Light Fixture - I can't open it. Can anyone show me how?

I have this kitchen light fixture which is very annoying to open. My light bulbs need replacement. Can anyone advise me on how to open this thing?

I posted pics of it at

Thanks!!!

-------------------------------------

Reply to
whyme

There is normally a clip or screw just inside the lip at some point that needs undoing first.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

Peter

Reply to
Peter James

You need to either rotate the dome until lugs line up with slots, or pull down gently against springs holding it in place.

Be careful. Either way can end badly as you can end up with it landing on your head, or it suddenly gives way and you fall to the floor still holding it. Go on, ask me how I know.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Now... that looks very similar to what I have.Is the dark part a metal cover over the white glass. Try this... Place 4 fingers over the dark bit and thumb underneath on the white (glass) and push up on the glass as you pull down on the trim. If it's fittings like I think then you will see 3 metal clips which held it on in a spring like fashion.

Reply to
Justine Time

If i remember right the plastic ring around it just pushes onto the shade , and to remove the shade it's about a quarter of a turn. Its a bloody awful design. Hope you get it off alright Jason

Reply to
jason

The worst design I have ever come across is any pond pump design. Every year I have to buy a new one because the previous year's pond pump won't fit together again, even when I read the instructions in detail. How difficult can it be to construct something as simple as a pond pump which anybody could put together? As part of the gadgets I have a nice sprinkler jet which will not fit onto any part of the pump, even though it is shown on the package as part of the assembly. I always put all the bits away in the box in the autumn after cleaning them, so nothing is missing there.

And don't get me started on trying to put the plug on every year, through the vent in the outside wall, when all the wires have frayed and one has to fiddle about trying to fit the wires into the little holes and then screw them in. Why can one not get a plug where you just push the wires into their neutral-live-earth holes and clamp them with a simple finger push without the need for three (3) different screwdrivers? And never mind the troublesome cord clamp.

Sorry to let off steam, thanks for listening. I really feel for whyme. I wonder if the lamp was purchased at Ikea, I had a lot of trouble getting the glass shade off an Ikea ceiling lamp.

someone

Reply to
someone

Are you a woman?

whyme?

km

Reply to
km

Terrible isn't it but..

Terrible from whose viewpoint? Seems to me they are making a pretty good profit from you!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Well, you're obviously a man with so much money that you can afford to throw it away every year on a new pond pump. Try fixing it yourself sometime.

OK, km and Andy Champ, you'll be pleased to know that I re-wired my

40-year-old standard lamp, although it took some time, but fortunately the nice man at B&Q was able to help me out since he was an electrician in a previous life. I now know about an underwriter's knot, which didn't exist when I first plumbed in the lamp. And of course now one needs a 3-core flex with a metal lightbulb fixture, which you didn't in the old days even if it was metal.

And yes, I've put together the pond pump now, it works fine, although the guy at Wyevale did admit that the sprinkler thing that came with the package did not fit, so he gave me one for nothing that he had under the counter.

And then I bought a new 8-type hose sprinkler handle for a very inexpensive price at a pound shop. Put it all together, it worked fine to let the water out, but the little metal triangle didn't reach far enough back so that you could turn the water on without holding the handle. Took it back, got the money back, went to Range and bought another one for a quid more, and it works fine.

Why can't things just work the first time, eh?

OK, nice talking to you. I'll go away now until I have to do any more home repairs. Oh, by the way, can anybody help with..... :-)

someone

Reply to
someone