Kitchen Extention

I have a single storey kitchen extention attached to my house. I believe that it has been there about five years. I want to increase the wall thickness using brick and insulation on the outside. I will also have to increase the roof thickness/size to accomodate this. The question is do I need planning permission to do this. I am not sure that there is planning on the existing building, I believe that if the existing structure has been there for over four years, planning is not required. Your help would be appreciated. Best regards.
You might not need planning but you will certainly need building regs.
ken
TP WHITE wrote:

You will need local building control officer approval - I would expect them to be quite interested in how you are planning to tie the new walls to the existing ones and the foundations for the new walls.
Planning consent is another matter. If the external appearance is changing (eg exposed brick instead of rendered block), you live in a National Park, you are going befyond the building line, etc, then you may well need Planning Permission.
The simple answer is to discuss this informally with both offices at the earliest opportunity. I have found them very approachable and helpful at how to get what I want within their rules. There is no point in putting this off - it will have to happen, sooner or later.
However, if you do something without consulting them, it *will* be reported. The whole country has people with nothing better to do than phone and complain at the first sign of a change. And, if they require that the foundations are 1" thicker than you allowed for, it could be rather expensive to put right..
--
Sue

Palindr☻me wrote:

"The whole country has people with nothing better to do than

I won't bore you with the details but you are spot on there.