Kitchen cabinet coming off of wall

Kitchen cabinet was coming off of wall on one corner. So, I took it down. I see that the side panel tore off of the nails that hold the side panel to the back panel. The nails are still there. I think it might be due to the lot's of heavy stuff we put in the cabinet. I also see that the back panel tore off of the staples that fastened it to the cabinet.

How do I resolve this issue.

I thought I needed to do 3 things:

  1. Hold the side panel and back panel in place and nail back again
  2. Hold the back panel in place and staple abck again with a staple gun.
  3. Put the cabinet back on the wall.

I called a couple of Handymen and they are saying that compressor based staple gun is not required. Is this true? If it is something that can be done with hand, i'm hoping I could do it myself. I was just concerned about renting the compressor and staple gun.

Reply to
bb74

What's the back panel made of?

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

The back panel is just that - a panel so you don't see the wall. It has no part in the strength of the cabinet or holding it to the wall.

More info needed.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

bb74,

Any chance of uploading a few pictures of the problem to

(or similar) and then post the link here so that we can see the damage?

The problem with kitchen units is that once they receive some serious damage, it can be very difficult to repair (or even suggest a repair without seeing the damage) and it's normally terminal.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

My system for a heavy wall cupboard is to screw a battern (say 1"x1.1/2") the width of cupboard so it sits on this and that this takes the weight. Then the usual screws from carcase to wall

Colin

Reply to
Colin Jackson