Keeping brass shiny?

After polishing brass on the outside door can I paint it with something to stop it from tarnishing again ?
Some one told me to use clear nail varnish, any thoughts.

Any varnish will protect it but constant use of the door brass will soon wear it off.
What are the brass parts you want to protect?
Mike wrote:

UV stabilised clear polyurethane - or boat varnish!
Remember though, if its door handles or suchlike, the stuff will eventually wear off with use.

You can buy a special lacquer for this purpose.
Jonathan