Jointing a dry lined ceiling

I just installed a new plasterboard ceiling (phew - that was a challenge!). I'm now going to do some jointing and have a few questions for those more experienced than I....

1) I'm going to use Gyproc Joint Cement. Is this OK as a finish (i.e. I don't need any additional finish layer on top)?

2) I recently did a little bit of patching up on a wall. At the joints I used joint tape (the paper kind). It seemed okay. A builder friend told me to use self-adhesive scrim tape on the ceiling. Which should I use - paper tape or scrim?

3) When I did the wall, I found it really difficult to get a smooth result over the joints. I sanded by hand as much as I could but the dried-on joint cement always had an edge to it which is still visible. How can I avoid this on the ceiling? Should I spread the joint cement differently? (I'm using the Gyproc guide as a basis). Should I use a power sander to get a better result? what sort of abrasive paper would be best suited??

As always any advice most welcome and appreciated.

Scott.

Reply to
Tony

Just don't use the cement,the skrim webbing is all's that is needed.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The best board to use if you are not going to skim the whole ceiling is the taper edge stuff. You get a good finish with the scrim and filler. With flat edge board, you have to be really good not to show a hump at the joints.

ken

Reply to
Ken