Jammed lock in uPVC door

Hi

I have a solid (not glazed) uPVC door on the side of my garage. It has always been a bit difficult to lock/unlock from the outside but has operated normally from the inside until today. I cannot turn the key at all, from either side. Has anyone any suggestions as to how to open this door?

I had the installers out to it soon after it was fitted and was told 'Some doors are like that.'

Do I need to get them back, should I call a locksmith or is it something I can do myself, if I can get the door open? Thanks

Reply to
perrancott

Presume the lock is locked and key won't work, not just a case of the handle not turning. How long since the door was installed? Might depend on your warranty, but it it's less than a year since fitted I'd get the fitters out again to replace the lock. "Some doors are like that"? . Right......... Perhaps you could tell the NG which company fitted it so we can avoid them.

Reply to
Dancer

I had a similar problem with my french door (UPVC approx 10 yrs old), the key was difficult to turn to unlock/lock, especially in hot weather.

A minor adjustment of the hinges was freed the locking mechanism, as the bushes on the hinges wore the locking bolts were catching, this was exacerbated by the expansion caused by heat.

You may have to get the door open to access the adjustment screws.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Thanks. It has been hot recently but slightly cooler on the day it stopped working. Any ideas on how to get the door open?

Reply to
perrancott

Key will not turn in lock. I am calling the installers tomorrow to get them out when I return from business trip on Friday. The door was fitted almost exactly two years ago.

Reply to
perrancott

The frame might not be sitting vertically in the opening, which can interfere with the locking mechanism. The door might have dropped slightly, which again will mean that the bolts and hooks on the door will not be aligned with the frame. You could try lifting the door slightly by levering it up using a length of wood with a brick or two as a fulcrum, while someone else tries turning the key. Try lifting the hinge side, the handle/lock side, and the middle, in case you can bring the locks into alignment enough to let you unlock the door.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

Returned this evening found the door could be unlocked!! I have not relocked it again but this weekend will take the advice given by several of you and see if anything is out of alignment.

Thanks to everyone. This sort of community is great isn't it?

Reply to
perrancott