Jaguar/Protherm Combi boiler woes

My Jaguar 28k combi 3 years old developed a problem where the domestic hot

> water required more and more volume before it came on and would go off as= soon > as the tap was turned down. Eventually it failed to give any hot water at > all.

Jaguar Combi are sold by the Wolseley Plumb centre group and are Glow worm manufactured boilers but badged either Jaguar or Protherm so they can sell them as a own brand. All technical help registration etc goes to the Glow worm HQ in Belper Derbyshire. ( same firm) The quote of =A3105 an hour plus the part prompted me into a diagnostic mode.

The diverter valve Pump block Pn 441151 Plumb centre =A379.Located L/H si= de of > boiler has a switch attached to the r/h end by a flat sliding pin. This = was > removed and the actuator pin from the valve observed as the water was tur= ned > on. Little if any pin action was noted. When the switch was activated by > inserting a match stick into it and the pin withdrawn from the valve with= a > pliers hot water was plentifull. > Problem, the diaphram unit attached to the valve. Diaphram had split and > was not sending the activator pin far enough out of the valve body to ac= tivate > the switch. > Diaphram unit easy to detach / dismantle. Two grub screws and two pipe cl=

ips (see later on re mains pressure). It appears that diaphram units are no= t sold as separate items so its a complete unit. Unless:- I recon that a suitable disc cut from rubber (old innertube) and inserted on top of the existing diaphram with a bead of clear silicon around the edge covering the split will result in a repair that will be better than the original article and more than likely outlast the boiler. What ever you do, dont do what i did and drain the central heating circuit thinking the boiler was now empty, and then remove the small clip securing the mini bore pipe to the diaphram unit! Its under mains pressure. When the jet of water hits the wall behind you the stop tap will feel like it a million miles away even if its under the boiler. Let me know if this helped you avoid a hefty bill.

Reply to
tomcomm