Is There a Minimum Bedroom Size ??

Is there an official minimum size a room must be before it can be described as a bedroom?

Is there a minimum size according to building regulations?

Reply to
liz

On 6 Apr 2005 06:39:04 -0700, a particular chimpanzee named snipped-for-privacy@operamail.com (liz) randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Slightly smaller than a shoe box, if the 'bedroom' I'm typing this in is anything to go by.

No.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Must be able to fit in a single bed?

Reply to
Tim Morley

Many moons ago there used to a minimum size quoted in the Building Regulations. In Scotland, where I live, it was 7 square metres. This is still a good minimum standard for a single bedroom. Anything less is just a boxroom IMO. There are now no minimum room-size standards, however, the Building Standards (Scotland) Regulations 2004 state the every apartment (i.e., every habitable room in a dwelling, excluding the kitchen and bathroom) must be able to accommodate a 900mm wide x 2000mm long single bed

  • a 400mm wide activity space around it, a 750mm wide x 450mm deep chest of drawers and a 600 wide x600mm deep wardrobe + 1000mm activity space in front.

The abandonment of the old 1960's Parker Morris standards for housing design throughout the UK has led to the proliferation of crap housing IMHO.

Bob H

'Just because I'm nostalgic doesn't mean I live in the past'
Reply to
Bob Hill

I know nothing of building regulations but I believe the law on overcrowding states maximumum occupancy of a room as follows

Floor area of room Number of persons 110 sq ft or more 2 90 sq ft or more but less than 110 sq ft 1 1/2 70 sq ft or more but less than 90 sq ft 1 50 sq ft or more but less than 70 sq ft 1/2 Rooms which are less than 50 sq ft 0

Where 1/2 a person is a child under 10.

Reply to
Adagio