Is my boiler unsafe?

Had a man in to 'service' the gas bolier today but he said he couldn't touch it. It is located behind a unit in the kitchen and according to him didn't have adequate venting (there are no dedicated vents in the kitchen). He's not the first person to say this as the last time it was serviced the engineer re lit it under duress and stuck a warning notice on it to say so!

I would like to have it serviced as it hasn't been looked at for more than 3 years now and it is at least 20 years old.

Am I looking at a new bolier or was he just reluctant to service a bolier that was awkward to get at?

TIA for any comments

Matt

Reply to
Matt

Have you had double glazing done? we had ours done, and then the boiler guy made us have a vent through the brickwork.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

I'm surprised that you got it lit under duress!

Something similar happened to me a few years ago. My flued boiler lives in a small boiler room in the centre of my house and away from external walls, and was ventilated by a vent pipe installed when the house was built in 1980. That was passed as OK in 1980, but deemed insufficient after CORGI, and reference to the relevant BS came in, and I had to install dedicated high and low level vents in the boiler room door, as well as a permanent vent in a lounge window (to feed the boiler room door vents). If you look up the BS you'll find the area of vents required for your size of boiler, and a trip to B&Q and you'll find the plastic vents (they're marked with their effective venting area). It's what the gas fitter is expecting to see, so you'll get approval, as well as a house which is noticeable more draughty, but should be safer to live in. (Have your calculations to hand for a speedy resolution.)

Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

"Malcolm Stewart" wrote in message news:dtvvia$2bp$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...

Thanks I'll look into more vents and see if that placates the guy.

Matt

Reply to
Matt