Interior mastic

My upvc window frames were fitted about 15 years ago. I am having problems on the inside where the individual pieces of plastic meet at right angles. There is a sealant in and around the joint. It is now discoloured and/or cracking and breaking away. Is it possible to clean it away completely and start again? I would be grateful to receive advice.
JSGJ

I am not familiar with sealant in the joints where the frames meet at a right angle, upvc joints are normally heat welded to form a fixed mitred joint, but presumably the old sealant can be removed and replaced with new sealant in the same way that old bath edge sealant can be removed and replaced.
I think he means the joints where the pvc meets the wall I would take all the old mastic off and replace it with a non setting mastic

"Angus Noon" wrote:

Ah, I see, that makes sense.

I've had another look at my frames.In the kitchen the interior mastic / sealant is definitely between 2 vertical pieces of upvc in the bay window. It is a very thin film and I wonder if there is a chemical that I can buy to remove it? In the bath room it is between the main frame and a thin fascia piece where the frame meets the window ledge. In places it is quite thick and would scrape out but there are also areas that have just a thin film that is difficult to remove. Again is there something that I can buy that will remove this sealant?
JSGJ
"GJ" wrote:

Yes, http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/cat.jsp?cId 36165&ts'373 or Google for silicone sealant remover.