Installing Schuko socket

Hi. I'm a newbie to this group, so apologies if this has been covered before (though I cannot find any mention).

I would quite like a Schuko socket in my utility room for a couple of appliances fitted with europlugs. I appreciate that continental plugs are unfused so I can't connect the socket direct to a 32 amp ring main. I was thinking of making it a spur, protected by a 13 amp fuse. I believe the continental practice is to use a 16 amp fuse on a radial circuit. I assume that a Schuko socket would not comply with UK regulations so I would want to be able to replace it with a standard socket if I ever sell the property. I've not had much success finding Schuko sockets for sale (with a suggestion that they cannot be supplied in the UK). Does anyone know if a Schuko socket would fit a UK box (the extra deep version). Does this sound like a plan, or am I just asking for trouble?

Reply to
Scott

CPC sell the sockets and fused adaptors which would be the easiest way to do what you want without the risk of falling foul of either regulations or insurance problems in the event of a dispute.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

might be an easier option.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Not wishing to be a "smart ass" but is there any good reason why you can't just change the plugs on the appliances ?

[...]

Illuminated

None at all. Just a bit of fun and a desire to be different !

Reply to
Scott

As another reply has pointed out Schuko sockets are readily available from CPC (and from eBay where I bought some recently).

As regards legality, insurance, etc. according the EU legislation as I understand it anything thatg conforms with the wiring regulations of one EU country is automatically legal in another. Hence I could (if I had a house in France) wire it entirely to UK standards and it would (in the legal sense) be acceptable.

Thus single Schuko (or other) outlets are perfectly legal in the UK as long as they're appropriately protected.

... further to that I'm pretty sure MK make French and Schuko sockets for use in the UK, they match the rest of their range.

Reply to
tinnews

Thanks. I've found them now:

though ominously marked 'Non UK' and 'Reason for sale will be requested' so there could be a problem buying one.

Reply to
Scott

I don't think it's that simple. I think you can choose to wire a whole building to another EU country's standards providing they are CENELEC now harmonised. I don't think that means you can grab just a few wiring accessories and mix and match. However, I've never actually seen the rules in writing.

It seems several people have done that, and it is acceptable. Of course, inherent in UK wiring accessories is the assumption that one of the two live conductors is neutral, as is always the case in the UK on 2-wire 230V supplies. That isn't the case in all places in France, where there are a few areas where neither live conductor is neutral, in which case UK wiring would be unsuitable. In some other EU countries, supplies with no neutral are even more common. (This is one reason that having polarised connectors makes no sense in some EU areas.)

MK's products and the UK wiring accessory patress size are used in many countries other than the UK (though not in Europe AFAIK, except Ireland, which has similar wiring regs to UK, but do seem to allow the combined Schuko/French socket outlet too at least in hotels and offices - don't know about in the home).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel