Installing free standing cooker

The council have revamped our kitchen, but have moved the cooker that was near our sink 2 foot away from our living room stating that new e.u reg states cookers are not aloud near sinks is this correct.
     snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes:

No.
It might be that the cooker manufacturer says it can't be installed next to a sink although that would be unusual. Have you got the cooker installation instructions?
--
Andrew Gabriel