Our Indesit WG820 washing machine seems reluctant to enter the spin
mode. I took the back off to see whether a belt was worn out, but no. I
wiggled a few connections to see if they were a bit corroded and tried
it and it worked. So I put the back on again and it didn't work. I
turned it to the second part of the cycle where there's another spin and
it spun - but only after a longer than expected wait. In other words, it
seems to me that the controller is OK but the bit that it controls is
iffy. Something's causing it to hang and I don't think it's mechanical.
It pumps out OK and when it does spin it spins properly, not hesitantly.
Does anyone have any ideas for me to go on?
Some of my problems with washing machines have been with the pressure /
fill level sensor switch. This is connected to the drum (near the
bottom) by a plastic tube, and responds to the pressure inside -
effectively measuring the amount of water in the drum. With mine, the
connection to the drum was all 'gundged up with grot'. A good 'poking
out' fixed things.
One of the symptoms was that the machine kept filling past the correct
level. Another was that it wouldn't spin after the water had been pumped
out of the drum.
I think this happened on two occasions. The effect is to confuse the
controller, and it doesn't know when it should proceed to the next stage
of the cycle.
I've also (twice) had troubles with the temperature sensor. Again, if
the correct signals aren't sent to the controller, things don't work.
I don't think that any of my washing machine problems were actually
caused by the controller itself.
When mine started to be intermittent on spin it was the motor brushes.
I could sometimes coax it into life by tilting the machine slightly and it
also seemed to spin OK when I'd taken the load out.
It eventually gave up the ghost so I took the motor out - found the brushes
were pretty much worn out..
Plenty of online sources for them - I used espares.co.uk and found them
very good (I don't get commission from them!)
Usual problem is the water level (pressure) switch which is
telling the brains that the drum is not empty so it does not
spin. The device usually looks a bit like a modern
single-diapraghm car horn, about three inches or so diameter and
often attached to the wash drum (that is the outer drum) by two
pipes as it senses both low and high water levels. It may have
two or three wires connected.
They are usually relatively inexpensive but can be a b*gg*r to
It looks as though you and Ian are driving down the same road - water
level sensing problem. How can I tell if the water level switch is OK or
not, other than by getting a new one and seeing if it works?
Before worrying about whether the switch is faulty, first check that the
connections to the drum aren't blocked. With mine, it was VERY obvious
that it was the spigot(?) - where the pipe was attached to the drum -
was blocked solid. [One way or another, hard water causes no end of
The switch (which will be mounted well above 'high water mark), is
driven by the air trapped in the pipe. It contains a diaphragm which
activates a microswitch.
If you suck and blow (hard) on the connecting pipe, you might hear the
switch click. If so, it's probably OK.
The switch should not leak air. If you suck, you should be able to stick
your tongue to the pipe (held by the vacuum). If the vacuum doesn't
hold, there's a leak, and it's faulty.
It's unlikely that the switch contacts are faulty. They carry very
little current, so probably won't have burned out. If you can get the
switch clicking, you should be able to do a simple make-break continuity
test with a multimeter - or even a bulb and a battery.
But definitely check first for a blockage.
It was brushes that used to cause that problem with me. Whenever I got
spin problems, I'd check the brushes and every time the brushes had worn.
Replacing them did the trick. This was on a Hotpoint and it used to get
through no end of brushes.
Check to see if your machine has brushes or has a brushless motor.
Hotpoint and Indesit are the same company, as are Creda etc.
Thanks for your excellent help here, guys.
I've now had a chance to look at the machine more thoroughly and find that
(a) There is next to no crud in the pipe leading to the pressure switch
(b) the pressure switch appears to be OK
(c) the motor brushes are fine.
So I'm not really sure what is wrong with it, and anyway, SWMBO has been
using it over the W/E with no problems. So it was either a temporary
aberration or the pressure switch is not as OK as it seems to be. So
I'll see what happens and if it does it again I'll change the pressure
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.