Immersion heater element length

Page 3 of 3

shazzbat wrote:

I know these tanks as Fortic tanks - I think from the original manufacturer's name. Very popular for flat conversions to save running pipes through upper flats to get to the lower ones.
To the OP: Provided the bottom to the combined tank is above the height outlet tap and the pipe runs are as short as possible then there should be adequate flow as this will give about 3'head. Ideally use 22mm pipe to reduce the frictional losses. Useless for a gravity shower though so either need a pump or easiest and electric shower.
Bob

My guess would be 11" as your cylinder is only 36" high. If your element (like mine) is screwed onto the top (curved) surface I would imagine a 27 " long one would foul against the opposite side of the cylinder when fully inserted. My cylinder is approx 4 foot tall and that definately has a 27" element Is it possible for you to get a fairly accurate measurement following the line of insertion, if you see what I mean.
HTH
John

[...]

I do see exactly what you mean - I'll try that. Many thanks.

The whole point of the immersion (apart from economy7 top up heaters) is that it's lowest point is as low as possible to allow it to heat a full tank of water.
Now if Farmer Giles wants only to heat a third of his cylinder and has a very small bath he can fit an 11 inch immersion.
Adam
27" is the norm, be carefull getting the old one out, some times they are b#'[]#';'s. there are a few tricks regards bob

On Tuesday, 17 November 2009 15:13:12 UTC, Burbeck wrote:

Dickheads all of you lmafao !!!