Imersion Heater Buzz

When switched on my immersion heater buzzes, it buzzes then stops and starts again, it is heating all the time but something vibrates intermittently I think it may be the thermostat vibrating in its tube , Any help appreciated

Reply to
Leveled

It sounds to me (even though I can't hear it) like a loose connection causing arcing under the terminal cover, or if not, the heater element faulty and arcing at the neutral end.

Reply to
Harry Stottle

my kettle element buzzes when there is too much scale on it. Are you in a hard water area?

Reply to
Chewbacca

No soft water and no scale, If I press the top cover it tends to stop, I think it may be the thermostat vibrating in its tube when the element heats, Will probably leave it to resolve itself

Reply to
Leveled

This may be the right thing to do. But if there is indeed arcing going on (as has been suggested), then it should be corrected because it will erode the terminal away. Have you tried switching it on with the cover removed and having a look?

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob Graham

Take the cover off and have a look, power off - it will not bite you.

Mr Pounder

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Leveled,

Turn off the power to the immersion heater and take off the cover to inspect the cable terminal ends - I once had a buzzing similar to this in an electric shower and ignored it to my cost.

The damn thing caught fire just as I was stepping into it one morning as the result of a loose connection.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Also, if it has been arcing at the terminal, it usually melts and distorts the cable insulation near the terminal, making it easier to spot with the power off. If caught early enough it, can be repaired by snipping off the melted section and renewing the connection, after first checking the terminal screw and terminal are still in good condition. As usual. if in any doubt, have it checked by a qualified electrician.

Reply to
Harry Stottle

Try the nose test first of all. If it is arching inside you can often smell it.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike