Imersion Heater Buzz

When switched on my immersion heater buzzes, it buzzes then stops and starts again, it is heating all the time but something vibrates intermittently I think it may be the thermostat vibrating in its tube , Any help appreciated

It sounds to me (even though I can't hear it) like a loose connection causing arcing under the terminal cover, or if not, the heater element faulty and arcing at the neutral end.
On 28/12/2010 12:47, Harry Stottle wrote:

a hard water area?

No soft water and no scale, If I press the top cover it tends to stop, I think it may be the thermostat vibrating in its tube when the element heats, Will probably leave it to resolve itself
On 30/12/2010 12:42, Leveled wrote:

This may be the right thing to do. But if there is indeed arcing going on (as has been suggested), then it should be corrected because it will erode the terminal away. Have you tried switching it on with the cover removed and having a look?
Rob Graham

Take the cover off and have a look, power off - it will not bite you.
Mr Pounder

the cable insulation near the terminal, making it easier to spot with the power off. If caught early enough it, can be repaired by snipping off the melted section and renewing the connection, after first checking the terminal screw and terminal are still in good condition. As usual. if in any doubt, have it checked by a qualified electrician.
Leveled wrote:

Leveled,
Turn off the power to the immersion heater and take off the cover to inspect the cable terminal ends - I once had a buzzing similar to this in an electric shower and ignored it to my cost.
The damn thing caught fire just as I was stepping into it one morning as the result of a loose connection.
Cash

Try the nose test first of all. If it is arching inside you can often smell it.
Mike