Identify this Insect HELP!!!

Bugger - found a few of these on our carpet and was a little woried that they are wood boring beetles or something similiar.

About 3mm to 6mm long in size.

Piccy at...

Can someone identify and point to a solution or am I over-reacting!

Cheers

nc

ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnn & dont lookback !!!!!!!!!

Reply to
reg

Reg,

Do you know what it is?

I was unsure as to whether they were deathwatch beetles or common larder beetles. The deathwatch is a wood borer where as the larder beetle which looks similar is just a minor pest.

Cheers

nc

Well, it's definitely not death watch beetle. It's the wrong shape and colour for that according to my book.

It is the right shape for a leaf beetle but not quite the right colour.

Is it complete? If the head is missing it makes it tricky to identify!

Any more pics?

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Ha. Got it. The bad news is that it's a carpet beetle. They, er, eat carpets. Are you in the UK? See

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

That is bad news. I used to hear about carpet beetles, or more importantly, their larvae, when I was in the army. Apparently they were introduced to UK in bales of clothing returned from the far east.

The larvae are apparently fluffy/tufty, hence their nickname "woolly bear". One way it manifests itself is as a thread you may find hanging from your clothing. You pull it off and the garment starts to disintegrate. I don't think there's a definitive cure, but since they come from warm humid climes, I imagine dry cool conditions may help.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Thanks Tony.

Co-incidently, we recently moved house to this one and pulled up some old carpets - gave the underlay a good hoover with the dyson and had new carpets put it. Perhaps they were munching the old threadbare carpet?

Yes, in UK.

Cheers

Reply to
nc

The old carpet was wood where as the new one is synthetic. Should reduce what they have to munch on.

Guess we just keep hoovering up a lot.

Cheers

Reply to
nc

Are you sure you haven't removed the floorboards! ;-)

LOL

John

Reply to
John

That's a hell of a typo. Have you seen how far apart D and L are on the keyboard?

:-))

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Have a check on Google - I think there are some ways of getting rid of them. Dunno if your local council can help but I'd try the DIY methods forst as they are sure to be cheaper! Good luck TonyB

Reply to
TonyB