Ideas on positioning air con

Just aquired some through the wall air cons. Way too big for my rooms but at least I'll be cool.

I have the choice of either side of the chimney breast in the bed room and living room.

Bed room can be nearest the window facing the bed or furthest away from the window facing the door. Someone suggested facing the bed so I get the benefit of a cool breeze but I'm considering furthest from the bed so I'm furthest from the noise.These things are so over rated I'm thinking they won't need to be on a high fan speed and will cool the room plenty enough so positioning isn't too important.

The living room can be either nearest the windows and tele or nearest where I sit. My thoughts were nearest the tele and windows so I won't have the fan noise near me.

Any thoughts before I start drilling 6" holes in my walls?

Reply to
Periproct

Here, in England, I'm almost permanently cool - and currently rather wet :-(((

Much cheaper than AC...!!

Reply to
Martin

Ah the delights of an English BBQ August according to the Met Office

Glug

Glug

Reply to
Ash

I am in the UK. :-)

For some reason my house is always too hot for me in the summer.

Reply to
Periproct

Mine too, especially upstairs. For some reason the bathroom radiator is always hot, the plumber gave me some convoluted story about how it's part of the hot water system but I wasn't really listening.

We use portable air conditioners, the downstairs one can be noisy, fortunately it sits in the far corner where we can shove the vent out of the catflap, but we do need to turn the telly up sometimes. Do the ones you're buying have a documented noise level in db? Maybe you could look it up or ask the retailer to demo one and see how much of a disturbance it would be. Once the room is cool, you only need a low fan speed anyway. Other than that, it depends on whether you like the air blowing onto you or not, I do on hot days. And do you like it cooler than other people in the house? Your missus might not want it blowing directly onto her. Our bedroom one can be noisy when it;s "refrigerating", but we stopped noticing it after a couple of hours and it's never kept us awake, it's about 18 inches from the bed as I like it blowing onto me during the night. It's one of those things that I wonder how we ever got through summer nights without one.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

You definitely won't want to be sleeping in the cold draft. You want it as far away as possible with the outlet not pointing towards you, so you aren't in any draft.

Fan noise isn't an issue with my unit (either indoors or outdoors), although I can't comment on yours. Does it have adjustable louvers on the outlet? You might occasionally want to stand in the outlet draft for a few minutes (as opposed to sleeping in it), but you probably won't want to for a long time. I sometimes operate just the fan and direct that at me, without any cooling.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The bumpf says 50 dB A. They seem quiet enough and do have three fan speeds. I may go for facing the bed as it will save me moving a wardrobe.

It would be a bit of a disaster to find I don't like it blowing on me after I've drilled the holes.

Reply to
Periproct

We had this in our last house. It meant that the towel rail came on with the hot water _and_ the heating so we could always have warm towels. In summer - just turn it off. It really doesn't make sense to use gas to make heat, and then electricity to pump the heat out!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Got a Powermax boiler by any chance?

Reply to
John Whitworth

It's tempting to think in terms of standing in front of a fan on a hot day to get cool, but the reality is air con cools the whole room anyway if you keep doors and windows firmly shut so you don't need it close to you unless you really want to. When chilling a large room, the air output temp is usually too low to want to stay for long in it anyway.

For me, it was more important to be able to hide the box down the side of the house.

Midge.

Reply to
Midge

Thanks for all the feedback. The first one is up.

Due to having to get two 6" holes drilled through a solid (no air gap, strangely) 10" brick wall before my second pair of hands to lift it onto the bracket went on holiday, I went for not moving the wardrobe. The first night I forgot that the louvre was pointing down and the air was ruffling my hair so it got turned off. The second night with the louvre fully open and on night mode (fancy name for slowest fan speed) it was fine. Very pleased with it. An added bonus that when I am on night shift, the noise of the fan seems to drown out any noise from outside. Some of the best nights and days sleep I've had for a long while.

The down side is that after a week it woke me up in the middle of the night sounding like a bag of nails. Knackered I'm afraid. As soon as I can recruit a second pair of hands it will be going back for a replacement. A refund is not an option as I have those ruddy great holes through my wall.

Reply to
Periproct

There may be a call-out phone number on it. It's usually much cheaper for the retailer to do that with such large fitted appliances than it is to handle returns (which usually result in further damage), and quite likely more convenient for you.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I'll certainly consider that. If it wasn't for the weight I'd have run it back to them straight away. Just the drain pipe to pull of and the mains to unplug.

Reply to
Periproct