I want good old fashioned Creosote

The Health and Safety Police have screwed it up for everybody - you can't beat carcinogens for preserving wood. I mean you look at railway sleepers and there is virtually no rot at all

- in contrast to my 4 year old fence with its pathetic wax wood preservative which seems to do little to prevent water damage. Surely having to replace a fence twice as often must more environmentally impacting that a localised coating of creosote every 5+ years??

I understand this can still be bought in certain farm outlets but I am not getting anywhere in my attempts. Failing commercial availability, can anyone advise me of a decent means to make it (engine oil? paraffin?

Thanks

Reply to
DCA

I used the creosote substitute now available. Smells like creosote and goes on like creosote and after 5 years my wooden gates (6ft X 8ft) are showing no signs of decay. Other than a bit weathering they are as installed. I did give them a good soaking originally. 10 litres of the stuff in a bin and gave the ends a good soak. Just brushed the rest of the boards with a good amount.

Reply to
Alang

Thanks for that - I'll consider as a fall-back. Mighty expensive though at £15 / gal

Reply to
DCA

Gone up a bit in price since I bought it but not that much. 1.75 a litre

Alang

Thanks for the tip - but this is not an oil based substance - it is water soluble and wax based. It is not what I am after at all (probably why it is cheaper than what I found)

Reply to
DCA