I need to get a new fitted kitchen

But I am not made of money and there are so many issues . some offer cheap then you find they are only carcasses and need doors etc. What is the best way for someone on a limited budget. Then I kmow there is the fitting . Any ideas of a plan of action would be appreciated . Thank you

Reply to
remove

Decide on what you would like if money was no object, design it or get them to design it, ask how much it will cost, then work your way down from there. If you start off by going for a cheapie, that's what you will end up with but you might find you could get something better if only you had asked.

Whatever you do you need to get a quote for whatever it is they are supplying. So get them to tell you in writing that doors are extra, fitting is extra, delivery is extra, or whatever. Or get them to say something like "To supplying fully fitted and working kitchen units and cupboards, ready for immediate use . . . .

Rob Graham

Reply to
robgraham

The cheapest option is to design it yourself, buy the units/worktops/sink/appliances/tiles etcetera that match your design, then fit it all yourself although the electrics need to be installed/passed by a 'competent person' to meet the part P buildings regs.

If DIY plus an electrician isn't an option, the next cheapest option is design it yourself, buy the units/worktops/sink/appliances that match your design, then get local tradespersons who you know to be good workers to fit it for you. Bought-in labour is expensive. If your savings don't quite stretch ask your building society if you can add it to your mortgage, if you have a mortgage. Otherwise consider a personal bank loan.

The most expensive option is to go to Moben/Magnet/Kitchens Direct/similar outfit who will design, supply and fit, and take you to the cleaners. You can say goodbye to a grand on the salesperson's commission for starters, then you are at the mercy of the fitters who will probably not be allocated enough time to do a decent job. They will offer finance, probably at extortionate interest rates.

My advice is to get plenty of comparative quotes. How long do you expect to be in this property? Will it be a cost-effective investment?

Reply to
DIY

Very difficult to say what you can or can't do without knowing what budget you've got and how big the kitchen is and how long you are going to be using the kitchen for (ie are you just popping a kitchen in to sell the house?)

You really need to decided what budget you are working to.

Can you afford

  • a FULL new kitchen with new white goods and new floor covering (tiles?)?
  • a full new kitchen but keeping your existing white goods?
  • only part of a kitchen and keeping all your white goods
  • or can you just afford to replace the doors
  • failing all else can you just afford to paint the kitchen and kitchen cupboard doors to make it look clean and tidy?

Ash

Reply to
Ash

Well, I've fitted lots of Ikea ones (one of the cheapest), an never seen or heard of this before. I think someone was trying to scare you when they couldn't think of a valid reason to buy some over-priced doors.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I agree I've fitted some really really cheap kitchen doors and never had a problem with warping ... the only thing I can think of is maybe they meant doors which are above the cooker/hob and may be subject to steam? Then again I've never had any problems.

Ash

Reply to
Ash

Have a look on E Bay, there are both new ones and 2nd hand.

Some of the second hand are real bargains. Just ensure your measurements are OK and hire a van.

Dee

Reply to
Deebrief

It was people I know who told me. I guess a lot will depend on how steamed up you kitchen might get and other such considerations however, I must say that looking at some unit the doors are suspect, but having said that I was quite amazed at how well the B&Q cheap doors were

Reply to
Ron O'Brien

I've used the IKEA kitchen unit doors in my bath/shower room, and the IKEA kitchen unit end panels to make the bath panel. No problems whatsoever. You have been mislead.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel