I am concerned about the rain water from his garage

Jethro,

Does the rainwater from the garage drain directly onto your property?

If it does, then you can insist that he alters the drainage system so that it does not.

If it drains onto his property and naturally 'soaks away' into the ground before crossing your boundary then you have little chance of doing anything about it unless you can prove that the water actually comes from that source (using a coloured dye) and that it is causing damage.

That is a requirement of your permissions and it must be accepted. Garages under a certain size, construction and distance from a boundary do not need building reg approval.

There will be no danger from that amount of water either from subsidence, rising damp or flooding if your extension is correctly built - now 'ponding' water in the garden is another matter!

Brian G - who has just returned from a holiday on an island where petrol is

*3 pence* a litre - for those interested in filling up there its 5,500 miles away :-)
Reply to
Brian G

Worth popping back with a very large tanker for that saving i think thanks to Mr Brown. LOL

Where was this place just for interests sake - must have been in the back of beyond.

Richard

fullflow plumbing

Richard,

It's on a little island called Margarita just off the Venezuelan coast!

As a matter of interest, white rum is £3 a litre, there's no road tax or MoT test and the island is predominantly tax free but with a high inflation rate (2,150 Bolivar equals just 51 pence).

Oh and it's bloody hot!

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

Yup, that was my most favourite place. We anchored off Pampatar - lovely beach, with beer 5 US cents a bottle at the beach kiosks. Diesel at that time (1980's) was 5 US cents a US gallon.

Absolutely brilliant society as well, with some of the most friendly people I have ever come across.

You are right about inflation - prices on items in supermarkets were being changed almost every day. And nobody bothers with centivos, any change under a Bolivar was given in sweets.

Quite a few small islands around Venezuala have no permanent (human) inhabitants - nice if you want to "get away from it all". We stayed a couple of days on Los Testigos. Immigration formalities are DIY - a small wooden hut with a book that you sign in & out (if you feel like doing so).

Another brilliant island is St Helena (still a British island, except for a couple of acres that belong to France), though that is

*extremely* isolated, with no commercial transport to speak of going to the island, so the only "tourists" are trans-Atlantic yotties.
Reply to
Cynic

He almost certainly does.

And he would have needed to have submitted plans to the council which detailed, among other things, how rainwater would be disposed of.

It's not unknown for people to tell porkies when submitting plans...........I suggest the OP approaches his council and asks whether plans were submitted and can he see them.

Reply to
chuckles_the_scary_clown

He probably does not!

Do I require permission for a garage?

You will not require permission if the garage is more than 5 metres from your house, unless you live in a listed building. You must, however, comply with Rules L - O below. Note 7 - A garage will be treated as an extension and Rules A - F in Section 1, "Building an Extension" will apply if - i. your house is in a Conservation Area; or,

ii. the garage is to be within 5 metres of your house (see Note 3).

Otherwise Rules L - O apply (see Illustration 6).

Rule L. The garage must be used for domestic purposes only.

Rule M. No part of the garage should be nearer to any road than the part of the original house nearest to the road.

Rule N. The height of the garage must not be more than 4 metres high if it has a ridged roof, or 3 metres in any other case.

Rule O. The ground area covered by the garage and any other buildings within the boundary of the property (excluding the original house) must not be more than half the total area.

Reply to
watcher

wrote

You're confusing Planning Permission with Building Regulations Approval.

Reply to
chuckles_the_scary_clown