I am concerned about the rain water from his garage

Page 2 of 2

I am the O.P. and that's ridiculous - You are now suggesting that if my builder knocks a few quid (the soakaway) off my extension bill, i'll be happy - since the regulations suggests it's nessesary to protect my foundations i would dig it myself with a spoon - i have already considered buying a water barrel for the neighbour but unless he uses up the collected water i don't think that will work
SNIP

OK, I lost track of your OP-ness, but it doesn't change anything.
You are now suggesting that if my

No I'm not. I'm just saying it's up your nose because he didn't have to.
since the regulations suggests it's nessesary to protect my

rains, it shouldn't be a long wait, and see what happens. If the area gets to be a big puddle, suggest he gets a water butt, and run the overflow from it to a point suitable for you both. You can even get them for nothing if you don't mind them being not exactly pretty. Loads of people are now having condensing boilers put in, which depending on the type of system used, can liberate the big tank from the loft. The plumbers will let you have these for nothing, since it saves them having to landfill them. I've got several on my allotment. When I see the telltale signs I just go and have a word with them, I've not been turned down yet. If the neighbour is a gardener he's probably thinking of something like this anyway.
Steve

Dig deep foundations?
-- x If you have been, have you stopped? /|\\
JethroUK wrote:

Jethro,
Does the rainwater from the garage drain directly onto your property?
If it does, then you can insist that he alters the drainage system so that it does not.
If it drains onto his property and naturally 'soaks away' into the ground before crossing your boundary then you have little chance of doing anything about it unless you can prove that the water actually comes from that source (using a coloured dye) and that it is causing damage.

That is a requirement of your permissions and it must be accepted. Garages under a certain size, construction and distance from a boundary do not need building reg approval.

There will be no danger from that amount of water either from subsidence, rising damp or flooding if your extension is correctly built - now 'ponding' water in the garden is another matter!
Brian G - who has just returned from a holiday on an island where petrol is *3 pence* a litre - for those interested in filling up there its 5,500 miles away :-)

Worth popping back with a very large tanker for that saving i think thanks to Mr Brown. LOL
Where was this place just for interests sake - must have been in the back of beyond.
Richard www.fullflow-plumbing.co.uk
fullflow plumbing wrote:

Richard,
It's on a little island called Margarita just off the Venezuelan coast!
As a matter of interest, white rum is 3 a litre, there's no road tax or MoT test and the island is predominantly tax free but with a high inflation rate (2,150 Bolivar equals just 51 pence).
Oh and it's bloody hot!
Brian G

Yup, that was my most favourite place. We anchored off Pampatar - lovely beach, with beer 5 US cents a bottle at the beach kiosks. Diesel at that time (1980's) was 5 US cents a US gallon.
Absolutely brilliant society as well, with some of the most friendly people I have ever come across.
You are right about inflation - prices on items in supermarkets were being changed almost every day. And nobody bothers with centivos, any change under a Bolivar was given in sweets.
Quite a few small islands around Venezuala have no permanent (human) inhabitants - nice if you want to "get away from it all". We stayed a couple of days on Los Testigos. Immigration formalities are DIY - a small wooden hut with a book that you sign in & out (if you feel like doing so).
Another brilliant island is St Helena (still a British island, except for a couple of acres that belong to France), though that is *extremely* isolated, with no commercial transport to speak of going to the island, so the only "tourists" are trans-Atlantic yotties.
--
Cynic