I am concerned about the rain water from his garage

Page 1 of 2

My neighbour has just had a large brick garage built within 2 meters of our house (6 meters from his house) - They have run the rain water guttering for this to drain at the back of the garage (our side) - It doesn't go into a drain or a soak away but just drains straight onto the soil
We are also building an extention (for which i have permission) - And i am ordered to build a soak away for the rain water a minimum of 5 meters from the house
I am concerned about the rain water from his garage undermining my foundations - what should I do?

IANAL
Check with the council for building regs approval for his extension ?
in message

I don't that he needs building permission to erect a garage

The issue is not planning permission but Building Regulations, and the need for meeting those that will depend on its size, its distance from the existing house and either its distance from the property boundary or its construction materials.
Tony

He almost certainly does.
And he would have needed to have submitted plans to the council which detailed, among other things, how rainwater would be disposed of.
It's not unknown for people to tell porkies when submitting plans...........I suggest the OP approaches his council and asks whether plans were submitted and can he see them.
On 2 Oct, 18:54, chuckles_the_scary snipped-for-privacy@budweiser.com wrote:

He probably does not!
http://www.planningni.gov.uk/Devel_Control/Planning_System/Permission/garages.htm
Do I require permission for a garage?
You will not require permission if the garage is more than 5 metres from your house, unless you live in a listed building. You must, however, comply with Rules L - O below. Note 7 - A garage will be treated as an extension and Rules A - F in Section 1, "Building an Extension" will apply if - i. your house is in a Conservation Area; or,
ii. the garage is to be within 5 metres of your house (see Note 3).
Otherwise Rules L - O apply (see Illustration 6).
Rule L. The garage must be used for domestic purposes only.
Rule M. No part of the garage should be nearer to any road than the part of the original house nearest to the road.
Rule N. The height of the garage must not be more than 4 metres high if it has a ridged roof, or 3 metres in any other case.
Rule O. The ground area covered by the garage and any other buildings within the boundary of the property (excluding the original house) must not be more than half the total area.

You're confusing Planning Permission with Building Regulations Approval.

ask him if he wants to run his downpipe in to your soak-away?
JethroUK wrote:

Kill all his family, burn down his house and smash the garage up.
Or pop round for a cup of tea and a chat about it.

Yet leave the neighbour alive?
Are you sure that would be wise?

And then kill all his family, etc?
-- x If you have been, did it work? /|\\

Would this stop the rainwater?
mark
Mark wrote:

Yes but strictly speaking only the last action is required :)
Andy

None of them are required. The amount of water coming off the garage roof will be the same as the amount that has been falling on the soil anyway. It will be concentrated on to one small spot, but it's his spot, and this will make no difference in practical terms.
Steve

Same applies for any building
hence we have regulations

but you don't seem to know/understand the fundementals

Feel free to elucidate as to the fundamentals(sic) you feel I don't understand.
Steve

Let me try. ok? While you are correct in saying the ammount of water is the same, its a case of it all being directed to a "hot spot" less than 2 metres away from the OPs property. Therefore, this 2 metres is not only getting IT'S share of rainfall, but being added to by the downspout from neighbours garage. As the OP also stated, he has been ORDERED to install a soakaway for his extension, which indicates a local problem (heavy clay soil perhaps?) Ask yourself why the OPs neighbour installed the guttering to drain on the OPs side of this garage. Not wanting his garden turned into a quagmire perhaps??
T-L

ok. This "hot spot" as you call it, is only 2 metres from the OPs property,as you rightly observe. However, the rain falling there has only been directed a couple of metres from where it would have fallen anyway, it's not like it's been piped across the property.
Also, being ORDERED to install a soakaway does not indicate a "local problem", it's the norm when building an extension.
Ask yourself why the neighbour installed the guttering to drain on the OPs side of the garage? Well, he installed it to the side of the garage anybody would have, by the fence rather than in the middle of his garden. I would have done the same. The OP isn't claiming any sinister intent here.
The water coming out of this downpipe is almost certainly going to find its way to the same exit from the property as it does now, since the OP doesn't mention anything to contradict this, just slightly quicker due to a few square metres of soaking-in area being denied to it.
As for the quagmire, well did the OP mention any such problem? No I don't think so. The bottom line is the same amount of water is going to land on the neighbour's garden as it does now.
Nice try though.
Steve

Nope - To extend your logic - no building needs guttering - and if that's your argument - i'm not interested
you wouldn't be playing semantics if it was your house

To extend the other way - The 2' x 2' slab my dustbin sits on needs a soakaway - And if that's your argument I'm not interested.
I'm not arguing semantics, I'm trying to apply a bit of common sense. And common sense says that the most likely thing to happen as a result of this garage guttering is - Nothing.
For my money the OP has just got the hump because he had to put in a soakaway and the neighbour didn't.
Steve