How to find power rating of a radiator

Hi,

I've having a new kitchen fitted next year, and as a part of it I want to replace my existing radiator with a narrow vertical type to free up some wall space.

My cirrent radiator is a double raiator which is 175cm wide and 70 cmhigh. Any idea if there's a general rule of thumb to get its heat output (BTU or kW) ? as I want to get a very differently styled radioator but want the same heat output.

Or, alternatively...the room is 4.5m x 3.5m. What sort of output from a radiator would I want here?

Reply to
Simon Mc

In article , Simon Mc writes

Look at a site supplying radiators and compare radiators of similar configuration (single/double) and size, the output will be quoted beside the size. Watts are the 'new money' of specifying heat output. Try

The make of rad has little to do with the heat o/p compared with the config/size.

Reply to
fred

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the link. I have looked at my kitchen rad and it has no 'convector' bits between its two panels, so I wouldl classify it as a 2 panel, no convector.

I cannot finr this type or rad on the web, as all two-panel rads have convector fins between the panels. How can I guestimate my rad's output compared to a 2-panel single convector on the web?

Same, more, or less?

Reply to
Simon Mc

In article , Simon Mc writes

Wow, that's an old one, it's very unusual to find one w/o convectors these days

The convectors make quite a difference but if you could find data for a single panel radiator (ie one w/o a convector) you could take a guess at it being just under twice the o/p from a single.

Although very few people sell singles (w/o convectors) the data will still likely be found on manufacturer websites and

be a good place to start.

I've got the data here so here's a sample for Stelrad Elite radiators:

size 600x1000 K2 (double convector) 2266W P+ (double panel with single convector) 1795W K1 (single convector) 1265W P1 (single panel - no convector) 775W

The output from a double panel will be less than the P+ ie 1795W but probably greater than the single convector (K1) 1265W, our guess of 2x single panel would make 1550W but I reckon it would be a little less as the

2 panels are in close proximity, lets say 1450W.

From that little fiddle we have that a double panel will have an output of roughly 65% of a similarly sized double convector.

Howzat?

Reply to
fred